Elif Kucuk is currently a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Governance and Technology for Sustainability at the University of Twente. She received her MSc and PhD degrees in the Department of Environmental Engineering from Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey. She assessed impacts of different agricultural practices on water quality using Soil Water Assessment Tool in her studies of master’s degree. After receiving MSc degree, she completed her PhD on the risk and source assessment and control of emerging contaminants. She worked as a teaching assistant at the Middle East Technical University during her graduate studies. She worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the same department after graduation from PhD for one and a half year. She was involved in several projects as a researcher carried out in coordination with the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization, the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, research institutes and UNIDO field office in Turkey. The main and common objectives of these projects were to identify anthropogenic sources and the natural changes that create pressure on water resources and to establish an action programme for integrated protection and management of river basins. She took an active role in these projects from development to execution and completion. She engaged in determination of the requirements regarding the implementation of European Union’s relevant directives for the management of point and diffuse pollution sources to provide technical support to the related Ministries.
- Water pollution and its control
- Water quality assessment
- Integrated watershed management
- Water governance
- Climate change adaptation in urban areas
- Gursoy-Haksevenler, B.H., Atasoy-Aytis, E., Dilaver, M., Yalcinkaya, S., Findik-Cinar, N., Kucuk, E., Pilevneli, T., Koc-Orhon, A., Siltu, E., Gucver, S.M., Karaaslan, Y., Yetis, U. (2020). A strategy for the implementation of water quality-based discharge limits for the regulation of hazardous substances. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, (), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-020-10220-5.
- Gursoy-Haksevenler, B.H., Atasoy-Aytış, E., Dilaver, M., Küçük, E., Pilevneli, T., Yetiş, Ü., Koç-Orhon, A., Şıltu, E. (2019). Natural background concentrations determination for metals in surface waters, Gediz River Basin. Turkish Journal of Water Science and Management, 3(1), 2-21.
I have been involved in the following research projects as a researcher:
- Determination of Criteria and Principles for Waste Interim Storage Facilities
- Providing Audit Capability to Waste Declaration System and Improving Waste Management System
- Application of Cleaner Production in Specific Industries
- Minamata Convention on Mercury – Initial Assessment Report for Turkey
- Management of Point and Diffuse Pollutant Sources in Yesilirmak River Basin
- POPs Legacy Elimination and POPs Release Reduction Project- Unintentional POPs Release Reduction in Turkey
- Technical Assistance for Strengthening the Capacity of Ministry of Environment and Urbanization on Environmental Impact Assessment
- Development of an Implementation Strategy for the Environmental Quality Standards Based Discharge Limits
- Industrial Waste Management – Determination of Waste Generation Rates for Selected Industries and Preparation of Sectoral Waste Management Guidance Documents
- Development of a Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) for Gediz River Basin