Erik Taal is trained as a social psychologist. His expertise lies in the domain of health psychology. He wrote his Phd thesis about patient education and self-management in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Erik Taal is involved in research concerning psychosocial aspects of rheumatic diseases. This research is performed in cooperation with the Arthritis Centre Twente (Department of Rheumatology and clinical immunology of the hospital Medisch Spectrum Twente in Enschede).
Central theme of the research is “The patient perspective”. Two research lines can be distinguished: “Patient support and information technology” and “Evaluation of instruments for the assessment of health status and quality of life”.
- Coordinator SRO Health Assessment and Promotion http://www.utwente.nl/igs/research/sro/sro_health.doc/
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board, of the Dutch Arthritis Foundation.
- Chair of the Dutch study group for social scientific research in rheumatic diseases (SWORA)
- Member of the Scientific Committee Allied Health Professionals of the European league against rheumatism (EULAR) (http://www.eular.org)
- Coordinator of the Psychology Study Group of the European league against rheumatism (EULAR)
- Member of Editorial Board of the journal Patient Education and Counseling (http://www.elsevier.com/locate/issn/07383991)
- Member of Editorial Board of the journal Current Rheumatology Reviews (http://www.bentham.org/crr/)
- Member of Editorial Board of The Open Rheumatology Journal (http://www.bentham.org/open/torj/)
UT Research Information System
- Assessment and Health Psychology (Minor Psychology)
- Behavioural Medicine (MA- Health Psychology)
- Capita Selecta Health Psychology (MA- Health Psychology)
- Supervision of bachelor & master theses (Health Psychology)
- Research assignment (BA-Psychology)
- Health communication (BA- Health Sciences)