He was PhD visiting student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (from Jan- 2005 to Dec 2006) working at the Newman Lab for Biomechanics and Human Rehabilitation.
Under the supervision of Dr. Hermano Igo Krebs andProf. Neville Hogan, he designed the first prototype of InMotion Hand Robot for hand motor restoration, a modular device now commercialized by Interactive Motion Technologies Inc.(Cambridge, MA).
He was a post-doctoral researcher (February 2007- February 2011) and held a Team-Leader position (March 2011- July 2013) at the Robotics Brain and Cognitive Sciences Department (RBCS) of Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) leading the Motor Learning and Rehabilitation Laboratory, with Pietro Morasso, focusing his research on design & development of novel mechatronic devices for rehabilitation and haptics.
He was Assistant Professor (August 2013- May 2018) at the School of Meachanical & Aerospace Engineering (MAE) at Nanyang Technological University (NTU) of Singapore.
He is currenlty Associate Professor in Biodesign at the Dept of Biomechanical Engineering at University of Twente.
My expertise is focused on mechanical design and control implementation applied to human machine interaction especially for Robotic Rehabilitation and Human Augmentation. Specifically my research ranges from Haptics and Rehabilitation Device to Soft Wearable Robotics or Exosuits.
40. Liu, Z.; Qi, D.; Leow, W. R.; Yu, J.; Xiloyannnis, M.; Cappello, L.; Liu, Y.; Zhu, B.; Jiang, Y.; Chen, G.; Masia, L.; Liedberg, B.; Chen, X.* “3D-structured Stretchable Strain Sensors for Out-of-plane Force Detection” Adv. Mater. 2018, 30, 1707285.
39. Elangovan N, Cappello C, Masia L, Aman J, Konczak J. "A robot-aided visuo-motor training that improves proprioception and spatial accuracy of untrained movements"
Nature Scientific Reports, Vol 7, Article Number 17054.
38. Marini F, Contu S, Antuvan CW, Morasso P and Masia L*. "The influence of external forces on wrist proprioception". Front. Hum. Neurosci., 31 August 2017.
37. Contu S*, Hussain A*, Kager S, Budhota A, Deshmukh VA, Kuah CWK, Yam LHL, Xiang L, Chua KSG, Masia L*, Campolo D*. "Proprioceptive assessment in clinical settings: evaluation of joint position sense in upper limb post-stroke using a robotic manipulator". PLoSONE, Nov 21st 2017.
36. Viaro R, Tia B, Coudé G, Canto R, Oliynyk A, Salmas P, Masia L, Sandini G, Fadiga L.
"Finger pressure adjustments to various object configurations during precision grip in humans and monkeys". Eur J Neurosci. 2017 Apr 26.
35. Dinh BK, Xiloyannis M, Cappello C, Antuvan CW, Yen SC, Masia L*. "Adaptive Backlash Compensation in Upper Limb Soft Wearable Exoskeletons ", Robotics and Autonomous Systems (Volume 92, June 2017, Pages 173–186)
34. Dinh BK, Xiloyannis M, Antuvan CW, Cappello L, Masia L*. 'A Soft Wearable Arm Exoskeleton based on Hierarchical Cascade Controller for Assistance Modulation' IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters ( Volume: PP, Issue: 99 ) ( finalist for best paper award at ICRA2017)
33. Marini F, Hughes C, Squeri V, Doglio L, Moretti P, Morasso P, Masia L*. "Robotic Wrist Training after Stroke: Adaptive Modulation of Assistance in Pediatric Rehabilitation", Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Volume 91, May 2017, Pages 169–178 .
32. Marini F, Squeri V, Morasso P, Campus C, Konczak J, Masia L*. "Robot-aided developmental assessment of wrist proprioception in children". Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation 201714:3.
31. Xiloyannis M., Cappello L., Khanh D. B., Antuvan C. W., Masia L*. "Preliminary design and control of a soft exosuit for assisting elbow movements and hand grasping in activities of daily living", Journal of Rehabilitation and Assistive Technologies Engineering (RATE), October 2016.
30. Cuppone A, Squeri M, Semprini M, Masia L and Konczak J. "Robot-assisted proprioceptive training with added vibro-tactile feedback enhances somatosensory and motor performance". PLoS ONE October 11, 2016.
29. Marini F, Squeri V, Morasso P and Masia L*. " Wrist Proprioception: amplitude or position coding?". Front. Neurobotics, 19 October 2016
28. Contu S, Hughes C and Masia L*. "The role of visual and haptic feedback during dynamically coupled bimanual manipulation". IEEE Transactions on Haptics , vol.PP, no.99, pp.1-1.
27. Marini F, Squeri V, Morasso PG, Konczak J and Masia L*. (2016). "Robot-Aided Mapping of Wrist proprioceptive acuity across a 3D workspace". PLoSONE 11(8): e0161155.
26. Antuvan CW, Bisio F, Marini F, Yen SC, Cambria E, Masia L*. (2016) "Role of Muscle Synergies in Real-Time Classication of Upper Limb Motions using Extreme Learning Machine". Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation 13(1) • December 2016.
25. Cappello L, Elangovan N, Contu S, Khosravani S, Konczak J and Masia L* (2015) Robot-aided assessment of wrist proprioception. Front. Hum. Neurosci. 9:198.
24. De Santis D, Zenzeri J, Casadio M, Masia L, Riva A, Morasso P, Squeri V. "Robot-assisted training of the kinesthetic sense: enhancing proprioception after stroke". Front. Hum. Neurosci 8:1037 • January 2014
23. Masia, L*.; Squeri, V., "A Modular Mechatronic Device for Arm Stiffness Estimation in Human–Robot Interaction," in Mechatronics, IEEE/ASME Transactions on , vol.20, no.5, pp.2053-2066, Oct. 2014
22. Campolo D, Tommasino P, Gamagea K, Klein J,Hughes CML, Masia L. "H-Man: A Planar, H-shape Cabled Differential Robotic Manipulandum". Journal of Neuroscience Methods 235, 285-297
21. De Santis D, Zenzeri J, Casadio M, Masia L, Squeri V, Morasso P. "Characterizing the human-robot haptic dyad in robot therapy of stroke survivors". International Journal of Intelligent Computing and Cybernetics 2014 7:3 , 267-288
20. De Santis D, Zenzeri J, Casadio M, Masia L, Morasso P, Squeri V. “A New Method For Evaluating Kinesthetic Acuity During Haptic Interaction”. Robotica 32(08):1399-1414 • September 2014
19. Squeri V, Masia L, Giannoni P, Sandini G and Morasso P. ‘Robotic Wrist Therapy: evidences of motor recovery transfer from distal to proximal arm’. IEEE Transaction on Neural System and Rehabilitation, 2014, 22 (2): 1-14.
18. Konczak J, Sciutti A, Avanzino L, Squeri V, Gori M, Masia L, Abbruzzese G, Sandini G. ‘Parkinson’s disease accelerates age-related decline in haptic perception by altering somatosensory integration’. Brain (2012) 135 (11): 3371-3379.
17. Gori M, Squeri V, Sciutti A, Masia L, Sandini G and Konczac J. "Motor commands in children interfere with their haptic perception of objects". Exp Brain Res. 2012 Nov;223(1):149-57.
16. Squeri V., Sciutti A., Gori M., Masia L., Sandini G., and Konczak J. ‘Two Hands, One Perception: How Bimanual Haptic Information Is Combined by the Brain’.Journal of Neurophysiology 2012 Jan;107(2):544-50.
15. Masia L*., Squeri V., Burdet E., Sandini G. & Morasso P. 2012, ‘Wrist Coordination in a Kinematically Redundant Stabilization Task’, IEEE Transaction on Haptics, vol. 5,no. 3, pp. 231–239.
14. Fiorilla A.E., Nori F., Masia L. and Sandini G. ‘Finger Stiffness Evaluation by means of Hand Exoskeleton’. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. ABME Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2011 Aug 24.
13. Masia L*., Frascarelli F., Morasso P., Di Rosa G., Petrarca M., Castelli E. and Cappa P., ‘Reduced short term adaptation to robot generated dynamic environment in children affected by congenital hemiparesis’, Journal of Neuroengineering and Rehabilitation (JNER) 2011, 8:28.
12. Melendez-Calderon A., Masia L., Gassert R., Sandini G. and Burdet E. ‘Force field adaptation can be learned using vision in the absence of proprioceptive error’. IEEE Transaction on Neural System and Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol. 19(3), June 2011: 298-306.
11. Casadio M., Giannoni P., Masia L., Morasso P., Sanguineti V., Squeri V., Vergaro E. ‘Consciousness as the emergent property of the interaction between brain, body, and environment: implications for robot-enhanced neuromotor rehabilitation’. Journal of Psychophysiology, 2010; 24(2):125-130.
10. Squeri V., Masia L., Casadio M., Vergaro E. and Morasso P. ‘Force/Movement Control in a hybrid task: pushing & visuo-manual tracking’. PLoS ONE. 2010; 5(6): e11189
9. Sciutti A., Squeri V., Gori M., Masia L., Sandini G. and Konczak J. 2009, ‘Predicted sensory feedback derived from motor commands does not improve haptic sensitivity’, Experimental Brain Research, 2010 Jan; 200(3-4):259-67
8. Casadio M., Sanguineti V., Squeri V., Masia L. and Morasso P., ‘Inter-limb interference during bimanual adaptation to dynamic environments’, Experimental Brain Research, 2010 May;202(3):693-707
7. Casadio M., Giannoni P., Masia L., Morasso P., Sandini G., Sanguineti V., Squeri V., Vergaro E. ‘Robot-therapy of the upper-limb in stroke patients: rational guidelines for the principled use of this technology’. Functional Neurology. 2009; 24(4):195-202.
6. Frascarelli F., Masia L*., Di Rosa G., Petrarca M., Cappa P., Castelli E. and Krebs H.I. 2009, ‘The impact of robotic rehabilitation in children with acquired or congenital movement disorders’, European Journal Of Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation, vol. 45,no. 45, pp. 135–41.
5. Frascarelli F., Masia L*., Di Rosa G., Petrarca M., Cappa P. and Castelli E. 2009, ‘Robot -mediated and clinical scales evaluation after upper limb botulinum toxin type a injection in hemiparetic children’, J Rehabil Med 2009; 41: 988–994.
4. Masia L*., Casadio M., Giannoni P., Sandini G. and Morasso P. ‘Performance adaptive training control strategy for recovering wrist movements in stroke patients: a preliminary, feasibility study’ Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation 2009, 6:44 (7 December 2009)
3. Masia L*., Casadio M., Sandini G. and Morasso P. 2009, ‘Eye-hand coordination during dynamic visuomotor rotations’, PLoS ONE, vol. 4,no. 9, E7004.
2. Masia L*., Krebs HI., Cappa P. and Hogan N. ‘Design and characterization of a hand-module for whole arm rehabilitation following stroke’. IEEE Transaction on Mechatronics, vol.12, N°4, August 2007
1. Cappa P., Masia L., Patane F. ‘Numerical validation of linear accelerometer systems for the measurement of head kinematics’. ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. vol. 127, 2005, pp. 919-928.
UT Research Information System
Google Scholar Link
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, December 1999
School of Mechanical Engineering, “Sapienza” University of Rome, Rome, Italy
M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, March 2003
School of Mechanical Engineering, “Sapienza” University of Rome, Rome, Italy
• Master Thesis Title: “Experimental study of dissipative effects induced by breathing circuit in assisted ventilation for newborns”
• Thesis Topic: Mechanical Measurement and Analysis of Biomedical Signals
• Advisor: Prof Paolo Cappa
• Area of Study: Mechanical-Biomedical Engineering
Ph.D., Mechanical Measurement for Engineering, April 2007
School of Mechanical Engineering University of Padua, Padua, Italy,
In collaboration with Newman Lab for Biomechanics and Human Rehabilitation at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering Department, Cambridge, MA, USA where I was visiting PhD Student from January 2005 to December 2006 under the supervision of Dr Hermano Igo Krebs (MIT) and Prof Neville Hogan (MIT)
• Thesis Title: “Design and Characterization of a Modular Robot for Hand Rehabilitation”
• Thesis Topic: Robotics for Rehabilitation, Biomechanics and Human Motor Control
• Advisor: Prof Paolo Cappa (“Sapienza” University of Rome)
• Area of Study: Robotics