I am a professor in Algorithms for Complex Networks. I am also a part-time professor at Eindhoven University of Technology and a visiting professor at Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology. My background is in Applied Probability and Stochastic Operations Research. My main research interests are in large networks such as on-line social networks and the World Wide Web, randomized algorithms, and random graphs, and since recently in prediction for networks using machine learning. I am passionate about teaching, as well as popularizing mathematics through popular science books, public lectures and social media.
UT Research Information System
Google Scholar Link
Affiliated Study Programmes
Courses Academic Year 2022/2023
Courses Academic Year 2021/2022
In the press
- UT-professor Nelly Litvak is een wiskundeactivist in hart en nieren. Tubantia 15-10-21
- Een slim dashboard moet corona-uitbraken voorspellen voordat ze er zijn. NOS Nieuwsuur, 14-10-2020
- Twents ‘voorspelmodel’ moet nieuwe coronabrandhaarden voorkomen. Tubantia 16-10-20
- COVID-19-dashboard TU/e moet brandhaarden gaan voorspellen. nu.nl 16-10-20
- Professoren jagen op corona met informatie uit mobieltjes. Omroep Brabant 30-05-2020
- A solution for training problem solving? Grasple, 26-02-2020
Popular science and non-fiction books:
- Nelly Litvak and Alla Kechedzhan. "Mathematics for hopeless non-mathematicians" ("Математика для безнадежных гуманитариев. Для тех, кто учил языки, литературу и прочую лирику") AST, 2019. In Russian.
In summer 2017 Alla, a hopeless non-mathematician, 46 years old, decided to learn math, and I agreed to help her. This book is about discovering school-level mathematics, from opening brackets to the sine wave, about Alla's unexpected difficulties and creative interpretations, and how my views on math education shuttered when I looked at it through her eyes. On the way, we created a Facebook group of thousands participants, who solved the problems, commented, observed the process, so it is fair to say that the book was written online.
- Nelly Litvak and Andrei Raigorodsky. "Who needs mathematics? A clear book about how the digital world works." ("Кому нужна математика? Понятная книга о том, как устроен цифровой мир") Mann-Ivanov-Ferber 2017. In Russian.
The book is about applications of mathematics in digital technologies. The topics include: planning and scheduling (linear programming), coding theory, random graphs and robustness of Internet, load balancing in web servers, probabilistic counters and big data, cryptography and on-line auctions. The book was in a finalist of the Enlightener Award 2017 for the best popular science book in Russian, see the item in the UT news for more detail.
- Nelly Litvak. "IQ to Love: What makes highly intelligent men attractive to women", self-published on Amazon.com, 2014
This is a fun and useful book for intelligent young men about relationships.
- Nelly Litvak. "Vocation formula - 7 rules for choosing university." (“Формула призвания – 7 правил выбора вуза”) Alpina non-fiction publisher, 2012. In Russian.
This book is addressed to high school students and is about what questions to ask, what information to look for, and how to talk to the parents when choosing the studies.
- Nelly Litvak. "Our nice teenagers." (“Наши хорошие подростки”) Alpina non-fiction publisher, 2010. In Russian.
This book is about raising teenagers and how children are raised in The Netherlands.
- I was honored to be a guest in a podcast `The Voice' of Mikuláš Vanoušek, a student in my 1-st year BSc Linear Algebra course for Applied Mathematics. December 19, 2021.
- Facebook group "Mathematics Great and Terrible" ("Математика - великая и ужасная!"). The group is to help non-mathematicians to learn about mathematics.
News on utwente.nl
- Innovatieve beoordeling van het vak Statistiek op de UT. EEMCS News. 20 oktober 2021
- "As a mathematician, you learn not to be offended" U Today Over a pint. 15 April 2021
Building a House of Integrity. Jennifer Herek & Nelly Litvak how to stay authentic in different roles. University of Twente Youtube channel, 16 Mar 2021
- `Mathematics for Big Data' in `Best Writing in Mathematics 2019' 03/ 12 / 2019
- ‘There is nothing mysterious about women in mathematics’ 14 / 02 / 2018
- Meet the teacher: Nelly Litvak
- NELLY LITVAK IN THE FINAL FOR SCIENCE AWARD IN RUSSIA Thursday 12 October 2017
- NELLY LITVAK WINS EDUCATION PRIZE FOR AM Wednesday 1 March 2017
- TECH4PEOPLE EXCHANGE GRANT FOR LIDWIEN VAN DE WIJNGAERT AND NELLY LITVAK Sunday 25 January 2015
- Nelly Litvak wint Professor De Winterprijs 25 / 11 / 2011