Tom was born in the beautiful city of The Hague in 1972. There, he also finished high-school. From 1991 -1997 he studied Astronomy at the University of Leiden. He got his master degree in 1997, after which he did a Ph. D. in Astronomy at the same university. He successfully defended his thesis: ‘The influence of the cluster environment on galaxies’ in 2002. After some in between jobs, he started to work at CTS from january 2006. First as postdoc, and now as assistant professor. His topics of interest are travel behavior, modeling traffic flows, and developing algoritms for the predicition of travel times.Dr. Tom Thomas
In his spare time, Tom likes to play tennis and football. He listens to all kinds of music, and now and then he writes essays about political issues. To relax and think in free-flow, he loves to make long walks and cycling trips in nature.
- 2008 - present Assistant Professor, Centre for Transport Studies, University of Twente
- 2006 - 2007 Post-doctoral researcher, Centre for Transport Studies, University of Twente
- 2003 - 2004 Advisor, Apollon
- 1997 - 2002 PhD Candidate in Astronomy, Leiden Universiteit: "The influence of the cluster environment on galaxies"
- 1997 Masteropleiding Astronomie, Leiden Universiteit
- Travel behaviour and travel demand forecasting
- ATMO – Advanced Traffic Monitoring (Transumo)
- ATMA–MODeRN – Advanced Traffic Management – Multi Objective Decision aid for Regional Management (Transumo)