Wilma Kippers, MSc is a PhD candidate at ELAN, Department of Teacher Development in the Faculty of Behavioural, Management, and Social Sciences of the University of Twente. Wilma’s research focuses on data-based decision making and formative assessment. She has presented at several conferences, including AERA (American Educational Research Association), ICSEI (International Congress for School Effectiveness and Improvement), and ORD (Onderwijs Research Dagen). She has published about the use of (assessment) data in international and national journals, and wrote a chapter in the Dutch book “Toetsrevolutie: naar een feedbackcultuur in het voortgezet onderwijs”, published by Phronese.
Feb. 2018 - present: Postdoc Researcher
As from February 2018, Wilma is (next to finishing her PhD project) working as a Postdoc Researcher on the 3-year FORMAS Erasmus+ KA3 project “Promoting Formative Assessment: From Theory to Policy and Practice (FORMAS). The project is financed by the European Commission. Cyprus, Greece, Belgium, and The Netherlands collaborate in this project.
Feb. 2015 - present: PhD Candidate
As from February 2015, Wilma is working as a PhD Candidate. Her research is about two approaches towards formative assessment in secondary education: data-based decision making and assessment for learning. The first study focuses on teachers’ self-report on the use of data-based decision making and assessment for learning. The second and fourth study are about a data use professional development intervention, by focusing on (1) educators’ data literacy and (2) how educators take educational action in the classroom. The third study focuses on how teachers and students use a computerized adaptive test for formative purposes.
Sept. 2014 - Feb. 2015: Junior Researcher
Wilma has worked as a Junior Researcher on three educational projects of the University of Twente. First, she has coached secondary schools in developing plans to supervise teachers during their first three years as a teacher, for example, by organizing meetings with and training programs for those schools. Second, she has contributed to research regarding the project Professional Learning Communities (PLCs), for example, by analyzing and coding logs, and interviewing teachers. Third, she has contributed to research regarding the project Datateams, for example, by analyzing tests.
In 2013, Wilma finished the Bachelor Teacher Training College (PABO) at Saxion University of Applied Sciences. She has completed five internships in three different primary education schools. She taught in Kindergarten, Grade 1, Grade 3, Grade 5 and Grade 6. Wilma's graduation project focused on research into Learning Comprehension and motivation of students in primary education. In 2014, she finished the Master Educational Sciences and Technology at the University of Twente. Her graduation project focused on research into important school organizational characteristics for implementing data-based decision making in primary education.
- Teacher Bachelor Honours Programme University of Twente – Instructional Design (2017 – current)
- Guest lectures Formative Assessment – Windesheim University of Applied Sciences (2016 – current)
- Supervisor Masters student (2015 – 2017)
- Involved in different courses (2015 - current):
- Formative Assessment Traineeship (BSL),
- Educational Sciences 2 (ELAN),
- Trending Topics in Educational Science and Technology (Master EST),
- Assessment, monitoring, and improving student and school performance (Master EST).
Besides education, Wilma has also presented about her research at conferences and she provided workshops about formative assessment.
- Twents Meesterschap (2016-2018)
- ResearchED (2018)
- Carmel Docentendag (2017)
- Facta (2017)
- International Congress for School Effectiveness and Improvement (2017)
- ICO Internationall Fall School (2016)
- Marianum (2016)
- Competence Theory, Research and Practice Conference (2016)
- St. Joriscollege (2016)
- AERA (American Educational Research Association) (2016)
- DTT conferentie (2015-2017)
- ICO Nationall Fall School (2015)
- Onderwijs Research Dagen (2015-2018)
- Carmel Schoolleidingendag (2015 and 2017)