Aiko Pras is full professor in the area of Network Operations and Management with a focus on Internet Security at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science of the University of Twente, the Netherlands. He is member of the Design and Analysis of Communication Systems Group (DACS). In 1995 he received a Ph.D. degree from the same university for his thesis titled "Network Management Architectures" and in 2013 he was appointed as full professor.
Aiko is interested in questions like Digital Independence and Internet security, with a research focus on DDoS attacks and DNS security. His approach is usually based on measurements.
He has participated in many European and Dutch research projects, as member, evaluator and as reviewer. He has contributed to research and standardization activities as a founding member of the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF) Network Management Research Group (NMRG) and as RFC author. He has been editor of the IEEE Communications Magazine series on "Network & Service Management", associate editor of the International Journal of Network Management (IJNM), and Editorial Advisory Board member for the Journal of Network and Systems Management (JNSM). He is Steering Committee member of the IFIP/IEEE NOMS and IM Symposia (NISC), CNSM, IFIP Networking as well as TMA.
Current PhD students
He is currently supervisor of the following Ph.D. students (see the page on Research for a list of past students)
- Morteza Karimzadeh: Mobility Management in the Future Mobile networks.
- Jessica Steinberger: Distributed DDoS Defense - A collaborative Approach at Internet Scale.
Start: 13/01/2014 (Joint with University of Applied Sciences Darmstadt)
- Luuk Hendriks: Security of IPv6.
- Christian Dietz: Early Botnet Detection.
Start: 01/07/2014 (Joint PhD with the Universität der Bundeswehr München)
- Mathijs Jonker: DDoS Mitigation.
- Wouter de Vries: Using Anycast to mitigate DDoS attacks.
- Moritz Muller:
Start: 01/04/2017 (External from SIDN)
- Olivier van der Toorn: Threat Identification Using Active DNS Measurements
- Nils Rodday:
Start: 01/11/2017 (Joint PhD with the Universität der Bundeswehr München)
Universität der Bundeswehr, München
Beirat CODE Cyber Security Research Institute (München)
Aiko Pras' research focuses on the detection and mitigation of DDoS attacks, DNS security and, more general, Internet security. Topics that his Ph.D. students are working on include amongst others booters, IPv6 security, anycast techniques as well as DNS data analyses (for details, see below). The approach taken is often measurement-based, including flow (IPFIX) measurement. My earlier research focussed on network management technologies.
Past PhD students
- Jair Santanna: DDoS-as-a-Service - Investigating Booter Websites,
University of Twente, November 2017
- Roland van Rijswijk-Deij: Improving DNS security: a measurement-based approach, University of Twente, DOI: 10.3990/1.9789036543293, June 2017
- Rick Hofstede: Flow-based compromise detection,
University of Twente, DOI: 10.3990/1.9789036540667, June 2016
- Ricardo Schmidt: Measurement-Based Link Dimensioning for the Future Internet,
University of Twente, DOI: 10.3990/1.9789036537988, November 2014
- Rafael Barbosa: Anomaly detection in SCADA systems: a network based approach,
University of Twente, DOI: 10.3990/1.9789036536455, April 2014
- Idilio Drago: Understanding and Monitoring Cloud Services,
University of Twente, DOI: 10.3990/1.9789036535779, December 2013
- Giovane Moura: Internet Bad Neighborhoods,
University of Twente, DOI: 10.3990/1.9789036534604, March 2013
- Anna Sperotto: Flow-Based Intrusion Detection,
University of Twente, DOI: 10.3990/1.9789036530897, October 2010
- Tiago Fioreze: Self-Management of Hybrid Optical and Packet Switching Networks, University of Twente, DOI: 10.3990/1.9789036529662, February 2010
- Remco van de Meent: Network Link Dimensioning - A Measurement and Modelling based approach, University of Twente, ISBN: 90-365-2305-2, March 2006
- Robert Parhonyi: Micro Payments Gateways,
University of Twente, ISBN: 90-365-2239-0, October 2005
Other PhD students (external supervision and committee)
- Nikolay Melnikov, Jacobs University Bremen (planned: 2013)
- Robert Koch, UniBW, Munchen, 25-11-2011
- Lien Deboosere, Ghent University, 14-9-2011
- Eduardo Silva, University of Twente, 11-5-2011
- Piotr Zuraniewski, University of Amstedrdam, 11-3-2011
- Emmanuele Zambon, University of Twente, 20-1-2011
- Christian Morariu, University of Zurich, 07-2010
- Radu State, Universite Henri Poincare, Nancy, 7-12-2009 (Habilitation)
- Bruno Van Den Bossche, Universiteit Gent, 11-9-2009
- Assed Jehangir, University of Twente, 9-4-2009
- Peter Racz, University of Zurich, 29-2-2008
- Abdelkader Lahmadi, Universite Nancy, 11-12-2007
UT Research Information System
Google Scholar Link
Affiliated Study Programmes
In the press
A selection of news items:
- De Volkskrant (Major Dutch news paper) on 21 ideeën voor een beter internet (17 Jun 2017; in Dutch)
- NEMO Kennislink (Science Platform) ‘Ransomware Wannacry laat zien hoe kwetsbaar onze samenleving is’ (16 Jun 2017; In Dutch)
- RTL (Major Dutch media institute) RTL nieuws toont aan: Zo makkelijk is het hacken van Politici (12 Jan 2017; in Dutch)
- NOS Journaal (Major public Dutch news station) about DDoS attacs on schools (8 Dec. 2015; in Dutch)
- Dutch IT Channel (News, Technology & Business Network) Beveiligingsexperts en ethische hackers delen kennis en ervaring (24 Dec 2015; In Dutch)
- De Volkskrant (Major Dutch news paper) Beveilig het internet beter tegen cyberhackers (15 Nov 2014; In Dutch)
- Emerce (Dutch news paper and web blog) ‘Andere investeringen nodig in kwetsbare ICT-infrastructuur’ (12 Nov 2014; In Dutch)
- Emerce (Dutch news paper and web blog) NWO honoreert onderzoeksprojecten naar cyber security (09 Sep 2014; In Dutch)
- NRC (Major Dutch media institue) Rotterdam plat door storing (28 Jul 2011; In Dutch)
- Tweakers (Independent technology reviews) Universiteit Twente: Anonymou-ddos'ers helemaal niet anoniem (11 Dec 2010; In Dutch)
News on utwente.nl
- Aiko Pras honoured with the prestigious IFIP/IEEE Salah Aidarous Memorial Award 2016 (28 Apr 2016)
- New approaches needed for protecting vulnerable ICT infrastructure (11 Nov 2014)
- Boost for research into cyber security in Twente (11 Jul 2014)
- Measuring the most complex system ever built (26 May 2013)
- Bad neighbourhoods on the internet are a real nuisance (1 Mai 2013)
- Measuring "The Cloud": Performance could be better (15 Nov 2012)
- UT study into urban centres of crimes of crime on the internet (6 Jul 2011)