- Sept.1982 - Feb. 1988: St.-Petersburg State University, Faculty of Physics, Department of Photonics.
- March 1988: MSc in Physics with specialisation in molecular spectroscopy.
- December 1995: PhD in Electronic Materials Technology.
History of Employment
- September 2015 – present Associate Professor, University of Twente, The Netherlands.
- Nov 2001 – Aug 2015 Assistant Professor, University of Twente, The Netherlands.
- Sep 2000 – Nov 2001: Staff Member of Research, University of Twente, The Netherlands.
- 1997 – Sep 2000: Post-Doctoral Researcher, University of Twente, The Netherlands.
- 1991 - 1996: PhD student & researcher at St.-Petersburg State Technical University.
- 1988 - 1991: Researcher at St.-Petersburg State Technical University.
Fields of expertise
- Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD), Plasma Enhanced CVD (PECVD, ICPECVD).
- Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD), Plasma Enhanced ALD (PEALD), Hot-wire ALD (HWALD).
- ALD (PEALD, HWALD) of aluminium nitride (AlN), gallium nitride (GaN), and metallic films.
- Growth and investigation of 2D materials (silicene, graphene).
- (Electrical) properties of ultra-thin (metallic) films.
- Chemical modeling of plasma reactors containing silane.
- Semiconductor device fabrication at low temperatures; CMOS post-processing.
- Low Pressure CVD (LPCVD) of GexSi1-x films.
- Contact resistance issues of metal-to-semiconductor junctions (measurements and modeling).
- Low-power hot-surface silicon devices for chemical sensors and micro-reactors.
Wiggers, F. B., Yamada-Takamura, Y., Kovalgin, A. Y., & de Jong, M. P. (2017). Encapsulation of epitaxial silicene on ZrB2 with NaCl. Journal of chemical physics, 1-6. DOI: 10.1063/1.4985895
Banerjee, S., van der Velde, F. J., Yang, M., Schmitz, J., & Kovalgin, A. Y. (2017). Electrical test structures for verifying continuity of ultra-thin insulating and conducting films. In Electrical test structures for verifying continuity of ultra-thin insulating and conducting films (pp. 1-6). New York: IEEE. DOI: 10.1109/ICMTS.2017.7954258
van Nieuwkasteele-Bystrova, S. N., Smits, S. M., Kovalgin, A. Y., Wolters, R. A. M., Nanver, L. K., Schmitz, J., & Klootwijk, J. H. (2017). Dealing with Leakage Current in TLM and CTLM Structures with Vertical Junction Isolation. 1. Paper presented at 30th International conference on Microelectronic Test Structures, ICMTS 2017, Grenoble, France.
Yang, M., Aarnink, A. A. I., Kovalgin, A. Y., Gravesteijn, D. J., Wolters, R. A. M., & Schmitz, J. (2016). Comparison of tungsten films grown by CVD and hot-wire assisted atomic layer deposition in a cold-wall reactor. Journal of vacuum science and technology A: vacuum, surfaces, and films, 34(1), 01A129:1-01A129:10. [01A129]. DOI: 10.1116/1.4936387
Banerjee, S., Aarnink, A. A. I., Kip, G. A. M., Gravesteijn, D. J., Schmitz, J., & Kovalgin, A. Y. (2016). Deposition of thin layers containing Ga, C and N by sequential pulses of Trimethylgallium and Ammonia. Paper presented at Proceedings 16th International Conference on Atomic Layer Deposition, ALD 2016, .
Kovalgin, A. Y. (2016). High-quality tungsten films by hotwire-assisted CVD/ALD at low temperature. In Abstracts Hot Wire CVD 9 (pp. 16-16). Philadelphia, PA, USA: HWCVD9.
Most cited (by April 2015, see Google Scholar) 10 publications
- M.A. Babaeva, D.S. Bystrov, A.Y. Kovalgin, A.A. Tsyganenko, “CO interaction with the surface of thermally activated CaO and MgO”, Journal of Catalysis 123 (2), 396-416, 1990. Cited 94 times.
- N. Stavitski, M.J.H. Van Dal, A. Lauwers, C. Vrancken, A.Y. Kovalgin, R.A.M. Wolters, “Systematic TLM measurements of NiSi and PtSi specific contact resistance to n-and p-type Si in a broad doping range”, Electron Device Letters, IEEE29 (4), 378-381, 2008. Cited 40 times.
- H. Van Bui, A.W. Groenland, A.A.I. Aarnink, R.A.M. Wolters, J. Schmitz, A.Y. Kovalgin, “Growth kinetics and oxidation mechanism of ALD TiN thin films monitored by in situ spectroscopic ellipsometry”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society 158 (3), H214-H220, 2011. Cited 25 times.
- A. Boogaard, A.Y. Kovalgin, I. Brunets, A.A.I. Aarnink, J. Holleman, R.A.M. Wolters, J. Schmitz, “Characterization of SiO2 films deposited at low temperature by means of remote ICPECVD”, Surface and Coatings Technology 201 (22), 8976-8980, 2007. Cited 23 times.
- N. Stavitski, J.H. Klootwijk, H.W. van Zeijl, A.Y. Kovalgin, R.A.M. Wolters, “Cross-bridge Kelvin resistor structures for reliable measurement of low contact resistances and contact interface characterization”, Semiconductor Manufacturing, IEEE Transactions on 22 (1), 146-152, 2009. Cited 18 times.
- N. Stavitski, M.J.H. van Dal, A. Lauwers, C. Vrancken, A.Y. Kovalgin, R.A.M. Wolters, “Evaluation of transmission line model structures for silicide-to-silicon specific contact resistance extraction”, Electron Devices, IEEE Transactions on 55 (5), 1170-1176, 2008. Cited 17 times.
- A.Y. Kovalgin, A. Boogaard, I. Brunets, J. Holleman, J. Schmitz,“Chemical modeling of a high-density inductively-coupled plasma reactor containing silane”, Surface and Coatings Technology 201 (22), 8849-8853, 2007. Cited 16 times.
- A.Y. Kovalgin, F. Chabert-Rocabois, M.L. Hitchman, S.H. Shamlian, S.E. Alexandrov, “A study by In Situ FTIR Spectroscopy of the Decomposition of Precursors for the MOCVD of High Temperature Superconductors”, Le Journal de Physique IV 5 (C5), C5-357-C5-364, 1995. Cited 14 times.
- I. Brunets, J. Holleman, A.Y. Kovalgin, A. Boogaard, J. Schmitz, “Low-temperature fabricated TFTs on polysilicon stripes”, Electron Devices, IEEE Transactions on 56 (8), 1637-1644, 2009. Cited 13 times.
- J. Lu, A.Y. Kovalgin, K.H.M. van der Werf, R.E.I. Schropp, J. Schmitz, “Integration of solar cells on top of CMOS chips part I: A-Si solar cells”, Electron Devices, IEEE Transactions on 58 (7), 2014-2021, 2011. Cited 10 times.
Scientific and other achievements
- Reviewer of 24 International Journals.
- Number of PhD students (being) supervised since 2003: 12.
- Leader of 6 scientific projects since 2007. Co-applicant of 9 projects granted since 2007.
- Organizer of the Dutch Thin-Film Nanomanufacturing (TFN) conference in 2009.
- Co-organizer of the PACRIM-11 conference (S18) in 2015, Jeju, Korea.
- Member of the editorial board of The Open Electrical & Electronic Engineering Journal and Recent Patents on Electrical Engineering.
- Jury member of VENI 2010 program .
- Jury member of two Open Technology Programs (0265-OTP and 323-OTP) of STW.
- International jury member of Romanian Evaluation Process (Romanian research proposals) in 2012.
- Technical program committee member of ICMTS conference (since 2012).
- International Board member of EUROCVD conference (since 2015).
- Opponent at Aalto University (Finland) in June 2015.
- Collaboration, joint projects with NXP (NL, B), Philips (NL), ASMI (NL), ASML (NL) IMEC (B), INNOVAVENT GmbH (D), Measurement Specialties (D), Sensata Technologies (NL), EDAX B.V. (NL), Twente Solid State Technology (NL), LOT-QuantumDesign GmbH (D). Toyota Benelux (B).
- Co-authored over 160 scientific articles.
- Number of invited presentations since 2011 – 7.
UT Research Information System
- Practicum RIM: central coordination and photodiode part (2002-2014 ).
- Course IC-technology: lecturer 2001-2003; simulations: 2004-2015.
- Developing assignments for courses IC-technology, Technology, and Materials Science since 2006.
- Main lecture in the course Technology (since 2011).
- Main lecture in the course Materials Science (since 2013).
- Materials Science and Engineering (AT): involved in practicum in 2012-2014.
- Engineering of Complex Systems (AT): involved in the PBL-module in 3-4 quarter of 2013/2014.
- Module Fields & Waves (EE): involved in the PBL-module/assignment since 2014.
- Module Fields & Waves (AT): involved in the PBL-module/assignment since 2015.