Welcome on my former homepage. As of January 1, 2019, I will work at Tilburg University as Dean of the Tilburg School of Humanities and Digital Sciences. You can reach me there at firstname.lastname@example.org .
From 2003 until the end of 2018, I was full professor for Design and Analysis of Communication Systems at the University of Twente, in the faculty for Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS).
My work, both in research and teaching, focuses on the design and analysis of cyber-physical systems, that is, computer and communication systems that interact with their physical environment. Over the last few years, I have been working on themes related to security and safety of critical infrastructures, smart grids and energy storage, wearable computing systems, smart industry and energy-efficient data centers. My research is mostly funded through national (NWO) and international projects (EU).
Next to the technical content, I have always enjoyed research management. I was Head of the Department of Computer Science (May 2017--November 2018, as well as in the academic year 2008-2009) and I am chairman of the national research and innovation program Commit2Data, since 2016.
I obtained my Ph.D. in 1991 and my M.Sc in 1986, both from the University of Twente. I wrote my master's thesis, in 1986, at the University of Dortmund, Germany.
Scientific Memberships and Honors
- Fellow of the IEEE (see also this Dutch wikipedia page).
- Member of the editorial board of the journal Performance Evaluation.
- Past member of the steering committee of the International Conference on Quantitative Evaluation of SysTems (QEST).
- Member of the steering committee of the performability workshop series (PMCCS).
- Member of IFIP WG6.3 on "performance of communication systems" and of IFIP WG7.3 on "computer performance modeling and analysis".
- Member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
- Member of the IEEE, in particular, of the IEEE Computer Society.
- Member of the German Gesellschaft für Informatik (GI) and board member of the GI/ITG special interest group on performance modeling of computer and communication systems.
Positions & Roles
- Since 2016, I am chairman of the national research and innovation program Commit2Data, on behalf of the Topteam ICT.
- Since mid 2018, I serve on the scientific advisory board of the Fraunhofer Project Centre at the University of Twente, which focuses on Smart Industry and Intelligent manufacturing Systems.
- In the period March 2009—February 2013, I have been scientific director and chairman of the Embedded Systems Institute in Eindhoven. ESI was an independent public-private open innovation applied research institute for high-tech embedded systems, employing around 35 FTE. As of January 1, 2013, ESI has been acquired by TNO.
- In 2012 I served on the program council of Point-One, the Dutch innovation program for high tech systems. As of January 1, 2013, Point-One has been transformed into High-Tech NL; in 2013 I served on the program council of High-Tech NL..
- Throughout 2011, I have been serving on an advisory committee of the Province of Overijssel to shape the Innovation Policy for the Region Twente for the next 5 years.
- Board member of the Dutch computer science research school ASCI (Advanced School on Computing and Imaging), November 2005 – November 2015.
- Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Breedned (2009-2011).
- Head of the Department of Computer Science and Member of the management team of the EEMCS faculty at the University of Twente (August 2008-February 2009; again since May 2017).
- Member the management team of 3TU.NIRICT, the National Institute for Research on ICT (August 2008-February 2009).
- Co-leading the 3TU Centre of Excellence on Dependable ICT Systems (CeDICT) as part of NIRICT (2005-2009).
- Professor (C3) for Distributed Systems in the Department of Computer Science at the Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule (RWTH) in Aachen, Germany (October 1995-December 2002).
- Lecturer ("Univesritair Docent) at the University of Twente, in the Department of Computer Science (January 1990 through September 1995).
- Visiting scientist in the Teletraffic Research Centre at the University of Adelaide in Australia (spring 1993).
My research focuses on model-driven design of embedded computer-communication systems and the evaluation of their performance and dependability. Since 2000, I have also been working on stochastic model checking techniques. During my term as director of ESI, I have become interested in system design and engineering as a discipline, especially in relation to industrial applicability (now also addressed under the name of ‘smart industry’). Lately, I also focus more on energy systems, such as smart grids, critical infrastructures and energy-efficient data centers. Due to my role as chairman of Commit2Data, I am also working more towards big data and its applications.
I have guided numerous master students through their final project, and have had the honor of acting more than 30 times as PhD advisor (“promotor”).
I wrote a textbook on Performance Evaluation of Computer-Communication Systems (Wiley, 1998), and published close to 10 conference proceedings (with IEEE and Springer) and did put together multi-author books on performability (Wiley, 2001) and on validation of stochastic systems (Springer, 2003). I published around 200 papers in journals and at (full-review) conferences; see, for instance, Google scholar, or the https://dblp.uni-trier.de/pers/hd/h/Haverkort:Boudewijn_R= .
I have been member of well over 100 international program committee of conferences in my field, acted as chairman of a number of international conferences (TOOLS 2001, PNPM 2001, MMB 2001, QEST 2004, DSN/PDS 2005, PDMC 2006, PDMC 2007, QEST 2015), and have edited more than 10 special issues for various journals.
UT Research Information System
Google Scholar Link
Affiliated Study Programmes
Courses Academic Year 2022/2023
Courses Academic Year 2021/2022
University of Twente
7522 NB Enschede
University of Twente
P.O. Box 217
7500 AE Enschede