Eric was born and raised in Hengelo (O). After high school, where he received the diploma Gymnasium b, he went to the University of Twente to study Applied Mathematics. He received a BSc and MSc in Applied Mathematics from this university and a PhD in Civil Engineering from Delft University of Technology. After a career as a software engineer at Cap Gemini he moved in 1988 to Goudappel Coffeng, a traffic and transport consultancy in Deventer. He worked there for 21 years in which he held several positions, mainly in research and in product and model development. His main research interest is on transport modelling, networks, travel behaviour and traffic management. In 1998 he became a part-time professor in traffic management at the Centre for Transport Studies at the University of Twente. In 2009 he left Goudappel Coffeng and became a full professor in Transport Engineering and Management and also head of the Centre for Transport Studies. In 2016 he also became head of the Department of Civil Engineering as part of the Faculty of Engineering Technology.
- 2009 - current
Full Professor and Head of the Centre for Transport Studies, University of Twente
- 1998 - 2009
Part time Professor, Centre for Transport Studies, University of Twente
- 1988 - 2009 Goudappel Coffeng, Deventer, the Netherlands
- 1985 - 1988 Cap Gemini, Utrecht, the Netherlands
- Organizer and Scientific chair of Summer school on Autonomous Road Transport Systems: Behavioural responses and impact, held at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, September 9-12, 2014 Functie bij : Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
- Member of program committee of the 17th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Qingdao, China, October 8-11, 2014.. Functie bij : IEEE.
- Member of the editorial Board of the Journal Tijdschrift Vervoerswetenschappen. Functie bij : Tijdschrift Vervoerswetenschappen
- 1993 PhD, Civil Engineering, Delft University of Technology.
Thesis title: Impact of Information, Dynamics in Route and Departure Time Choice
- 1984 MSc, Applied Mathematics, University of Twente.
Thesis title: Cross Decomposition and the Capacitated Facility Location Problem.
- 1982 BSc, Applied Mathematics, University of Twente.
Thesis title: Properties of Hamiltonian Random Graphs.
voorzitter afdeling verkeer en vervoer
- 17-02-2017 | Mathijs Waegemakers: Compating time dependent travel times in Vehicle Routing Problems. Supervisor: v. Berkum, Mes, De Heijer (extern). Company: CTS.
- 07-12-2016 | Sjors de Ridder: Design of a multi-objective decision support tool for the location of an intermodel terminal for the transport of perishable goods. Supervisor: v. Berkum, Wismans, Wesselink (extern). Company: Prov. Zuid Holland.
- 28-10-2016 | Luuk de Vries: Urban traffic state estimation & prediction. Supervisor: v. Berkum, Wismans. Company: UT
- 21-10-2016 | Oskar Eikenbroek: The boundedly rational user equilibrium. A parametric optimization approach. Supervisor: v. Berkum, v. Essen, Hurink, Still, Kern (EWI). Company: UT
- 12-10-2016 | Justin van Steijn: Aggregation in transport networks for a flexible assignment model. Supervisor: v. Berkum, Wismans, Brederode (extern), Possel (extern). Bedrijf: DAT Mobility
- 15-07-2016 | Michiel Jansen - van Galen: Energy efficient train control in the Netherlands – Analysis of effects on a heavily utilized network with distributed delays. Supervisor: v. Berkum, v. Zuilekom, Nugteren. Company: Royal Haskoning DHV, Railinfra Solutions.
- 14-04-2016 | Gerben Bouwhuis: Dealing with traffic hindrance at Rijkswaterstaat. Supervisor: v. Berkum, Wismans, Leferink (extern). Company: RWS
- 18-03-2016 | Rik Lodeweges: Deducing design rules for junctions in urban areas based on multiple objectives.Supervisor: v. Berkum, Bezembinder. Company: UT
- 16-02-2016 | Danny van Uem: Spoorbeveiligingssimulatie van de omgebouwde Hoekse lijn. Confidential Report (Rapport tot 1-1-2018 vertrouwelijk). Supervisor: v. Berkum, v. Zuilekom, Kuijf (extern). Company: RET R'dam.
For more theses see this website.
UT Research Information System
Bachelor Module 8:
- Modellering/Optimalisatie Van Transportprocessen
- Traffic Operations
- Traffic Management
- Transport Research Project
- Intelligent Transport Systems
- Mathematical Optimization in Transport
- He has supervised 100+ MSc students
Affiliated Study Programmes
- 2015-2019 An evidence based framework to assess the influence of positive, personalized, incentives on car use reduction
- 2015-2017 EU HORIZON2020 - Empower
- 2015-2017 Towards a system optimal network state using personalized travel information.
- 2012 Optimal design of intersections in an urban transport network
- 2011 Behavioural indicators for traffic safety