I am involved as a researcher and educator in the bachelor programme ' Creative Technology' teaching courses on Programming and Physical Computing, Sensors and a creative hackathon. In the I-Tech programme I give two design-oriented courses: Mastering Tinkering and Social Robot Design. Other contributions are the CuriousU summerschool on Robot Interaction Design and an introduction into robotics in the 'Smart Cities' HTHT module.
Furthermore, I try to maintain a blog on personal DIY projects at retrointerfacing.com, a central site on my activities at edwindertien.nl and a site on technical activities for art and theatre at kunstentechniekwerk.nl. Since 2013 I am co-founder of the ASSortiMENS foundation running a FabLab inspired workshop for people with autism.
- Make Magazine # 50 featured our work on pneumatic wearables
UT Research Information System
Google Scholar Link
I like to use a hands-on approach, always linking theory to practical (tangible) experience. By building things for real, as quickly and as realistic as possible, you can discover so many interesting aspects of your design problem, that simply don't show up on the whiteboard or in calculation.
Affiliated Study Programmes
Courses Academic Year 2021/2022
Courses Academic Year 2020/2021
I am (part-time) employed as a lecturer and researcher at the University of Twente. I teach mostly in the Creative Technology BSc program and the Interaction Technology MSc program. As a researcher, I am affiliated with the Robotics and Mechatronics group and with the DesignLab. I work on research projects involving social robotics and wearables – and industrial robots for service and maintenance.
As an invited speaker I really enjoy sharing my enthusiasm as maker and designer, I think it is very important that IF we continue to use technology in a sustainable way, we should be able to take it apart, repair it, improve it and make it our own.
From the listed media appearances below I'm most fond of contributing to an episode of 'Het Klokhuis' - I remember watching this program as a child, so it felt really special to be on the other side of the camera for once. I seriously enjoy the medium television, and due to covid-19 have been enthusiastically recording my own lectures.
In the press
- Tubantia about 'We Gaan Het Maken'
- We Gaan Het Maken (BNN/VARA) (2021)
- Proefkonijnen (BNN/VARA), social robots (2020)
- MENS#31 (VN), social robots, autism, podcast (2020)
- De Volkskrant, LEGO and creativity (2020)
- Tubantia, furbies and social robots (2020)
- Het Klokhuis (NTR), humanoids (2019)
- Focus (NPO), social robots, autism (2019)
- De Wereld Draait Door (BNN/VARA), humanoid robot (2018)
- Het Lab (National Geographic) building robots, social robots (2017)
- De Ingenieur, 'de zorgende robotknutselaar' (2016)
- De Buitendienst, a robot as pet (2016)
- Hart van Nederland, laser sword student workshop (2016)
- Dagelijkse Dosis Design, wearables (2016)
- Vrij Nederland - Nerd 101 (2015)
- Tijd voor Meldpunt (MAX) pipe inspection robot (2015)
- De Wereld Leert Door (BNN/VARA), social robots - with Vanessa Evers (2013)
- TEDx Zwolle, technology and autism (2013)
- TEDx Amsterdam, the dancing white man (2012)
News on utwente.nl
- shaping2030 stories (2021)
- u-today, utwente.nl we gaan het maken (2021)
- interview in Utoday (2017)
- Dutch Design Week, flexo project (2019)
- art piece 'squarewave' in the DesignLab (2017)
- video on Social Robots (2017)
- Student battle - nerf modification workshop (2017)
- artwork in Hal B (main entrance building) (2015)
- lecture series in the Rijksmuseum Twenthe (2015)
- MakerFaire Twente (2015)
- VN Nerd 101 list nomination
- 3D printing technology (2014)
- UT education award (2013)
- Exhibition at Gogbot (2012)
- UT education award (2012)
- EEMCS education award (2012)
- Solo Exhibition in 'the Vrijhof' (2011)
- concept design for Hal B artwork (2010)
- 'fietstaxi' art project (2010)
- exhibition at Gogbot (2010)
- exhibition at Gogbot (2009)
- inspection robot for gas distribution mains (2007)
- Dynamic Walking conference (2006)