Ernst Bohlmeijer graduated in 2007 on the effects of life-review on depression in older adults. Since 2007 he worked as an associate professor and since 2011 as full professor at the department of Psychology, Health & Technology at the Faculty of Behavioral, Management and Social Sciences at Twente University. His research comprises two main topics: 1) mental health promotion, 2) the use of (e) technology in (mental) health care. He has a special interest in the development and evaluation of innovative (web-based) interventions in health care. In the last years he was principle investigator and supervisor of over 12 randomized controlled trials. He developed 12 interventions aiming at enhancing resilience and well-being and reducing distress based on positive psychology, acceptance and commitment therapy and compassion focused therapy. Since 2012 Ernst Bohlmeijer (co-) published over 100 peer reviewed papers, 3 scientific books and 6 popular books. He was editor of the Dutch Handbook of Positive Psychology. Since 2000 he obtained over 10 grants from the Netherlands Organization for Health Research and Development (ZonMw) and other scientific funds.
- Chair department Technology of Human and Institutional Behaviour.
For more info about Ernst Bohlmeijer on the 'Featured Scientists' page, click below:
Selection of publications
- Sommers-Spijkerman, M.P.J., Trompetter, H.R., Schreurs, K.M.G., Bohlmeijer, E.T. (2018) Compassion-focused therapy as guided self-help for enhancing public mental health: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 86: 101-115.
- Köhle, N., Drossaert, C.H.C., Van Uden-Kraan, C.F., Schreurs, K.M.G., Hagedoorn, M., Verdonck-de Leeuw, I.M., Bohlmeijer, E.T. (2018). Intent to use a web-based psychological intervention for partners of cancer patients: Associated factors and preferences. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 36: 203-221.
- Derks, Y.P.M.J., Visser, T. de., Bohlmeijer, E.T., Noordzij, M.L. (2017). mHealth in Mental Health: how to efficiently and scientifically create an ambulatory biofeedback e-coaching app for patients with borderline personality disorder. International Journal of Human Factors and Ergonomics, 5: 1.
- de Vos, J.A., LaMarre, A., Radstaak, M., Bijkerk, C.A., Bohlmeijer, E.T., Westerhof, G.J. (2017). Identifying fundamental criteria for eating disorder recovery: A systematic review and qualitative meta-analysis
- Schotanus-Dijkstra, M., Drossaert, C.H.C., Pieterse, M.E., Boon, B., Walburg, J.A., Bohlmeijer, E.T. (2017). An early intervention to promote well-being and flourishing and reduce anxiety and depression: A randomized controlled trial. Internet Interventions, 9: 15-24.
- Koopman, M.Y., Pieterse, M.E., Bohlmeijer, E.T., Drossaert, C.H.C. (2017). Mental health promoting Interventions for the unemployed: a systematic review of applied techniques and effectiveness. International Journal of Mental Health Promotion, 19: 202-223.
- Vowinckel, J.C., Westerhof, G.J., Bohlmeijer, E.T., Webster, J.D. (2017). Flourishing in the now: Initial validation of a present-eudaimonic time perspective scale. Time and Society, 26: 203-226.
- Trompetter, H.R., Lamers, S.M.A., Westerhof, G.J., Fledderus, M., Bohlmeijer, E.T. (2017). Both positive mental health and psychopathology should be monitored in psychotherapy: Confirmation for the dual-factor model in acceptance and commitment therapy. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 91: 58-63.
- Köhle, N., Drossaert, C.H.C., Jaran, J., Schreurs, K.M.G., Leeuw, I.M.V.-D., Bohlmeijer, E.T. (2017). User-experiences with a web-based self-help intervention for partners of cancer patients based on acceptance and commitment therapy and self-compassion: a qualitative study. BMC Public Health, 17: 225.
- Bohlmeijer, E.T., Bolier, L., Lamers, S.M.A., Westerhof, G.J. (2017).Positive clinical interventions: Why are they important and how do they work? Papeles del Psicologo, 38: 34-41.
- Westerhof, G.J., Bohlmeijer, E.T., McAdams, D.P. (2017). The relation of ego integrity and despair to personality traits and mental health. Journals of Gerontology - Series B Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 72: 400-407.
- Derks, Y.P.M.J., Westerhof, G.J., Bohlmeijer, E.T. (2017). A meta-analysis on the association between emotional awareness and borderline personality pathology. Journal of Personality Disorders, 31: 362-384.
- Elfrink, T.R., Goldberg, J.M., Schreurs, K.M.G., Bohlmeijer, E.T., Clarke, A.M. (2017). Positive educative programme: A whole school approach to supporting children’s well-being and creating a positive school climate: a pilot study. Health Education, 117: 215-230.
- van Bruggen, V., ten Klooster, P., Westerhof, G., Vos, J., de Kleine, E., Bohlmeijer, E., Glas, G. (2017). The Existential Concerns Questionnaire (ECQ)-Development and Initial Validation of a New Existential Anxiety Scale in a Nonclinical and Clinical Sample. Journal of Clinical Psychology,
- Schotanus-Dijkstra, M., Ten Have, M., Lamers, S.M.A., De Graaf, R., Bohlmeijer, E.T. (2017). The longitudinal relationship between flourishing mental health and incident mood, anxiety and substance use disorders. European Journal of Public Health, 27: 563-568.
UT Research Information System
Affiliated Study Programmes
Current PHD research projects
- Youri Derks – development and evaluation of sensor technology for emotion regulation in people with personality disorders – in collaboration with prof. dr. G. Westerhof and dr. M. Noordzij.
- Romy Klein – evaluation of positive diagnostics and treatment of mental disorders – in collaboration with prof. dr. G. Westerhof and dr. K. van Doesum.
- Eva Feringa – development and evaluation of interventions aiming at resilience and mental health in organizations – in collaboration with dr. E. Geuze and dr. M. Schotanus-Dijkstra.
- Jochem Goldberg – positive education in primary schools – in collaboration with prof. dr. K. Schreurs and dr. A. Clarke.
- Marion Sommers-Spijkerman – evaluation of intervention based on compassion focused therapy for people with stress and self-criticism – in collaboration with prof. dr. K. Schreurs and dr. H. Trompetter.
- Sander de Vos – psychological well-being in the context of treatment of eating disorders – in collaboration with prof. dr. G. Westerhof and dr. M. Radstaak.
- Bart Geerling – the application of positive psychology as m-health in people with bipolar disorder – in collaboration with prof. dr. R. Kupka and dr. S. Kelders.
- Noortje Kloos – evaluation of intervention for nursing homes based on self-determination to enhance well-being – in collaboration with prof. dr. G. Westerhof.
- Maartje Witlox – evaluation of online ACT for anxiety of older adults – in collaboration with prof. dr. P. Spinhoven (RUL).
- Katinka Franken – the relationship between psychopathology and well-being in clinical populations – in collaboration with prof. dr. G. Westerhof and dr. S. Lamers.
- Renate Willems – self-compassion and informal care and treatment – collaboration with dr. P. Vuijk and dr. S. Drossaert.
- Annemieke ter Horst – Psychological, ACT-based intervention for people undergoing pain operations – in collaboration with prof. dr. K. Schreurs.
- Silvia Pol – the use of narratives and life-stories in the treatment and evaluation of treatment of people with personality disorders – in collaboration with prof. dr. G. Westerhof and dr. F. Chakkhsi.
- Tom Hendriks – development and evaluation of a positive psychological resilience program for Surinam workers – in collaboration with prof. J. de Jong (UVA).
- Jannis Kraiss – cost-effectiveness of a positive psychology intervention for well-being and personal recovery of people with bipolar disorder – in collaboration with prof. R. Kupka, dr. P. ten Klooster and dr. M. Chrispijn.
University of Twente
Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences
Cubicus (building no. 41), room B131B
De Zul 10
University of Twente
Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences
P.O. Box 217
7500 AE Enschede