Bart (GJ) Verkerke studied Mechanical Engineering at the University of Twente in Enschede, The Netherlands, where he graduated in 1981. In 1983 he started to work at the Rehabilitation Center Muiderpoort in Amsterdam on the design of new rehabilitation products. He started his PhD-study in 1987 and completed it in December 1989. The research topic was the development and test of a modular femur endoprosthetic system.
Since 1990 he is working at the University of Groningen / University Medical Center Groningen, since 2006 as professor in BioMedical Product Development. He is coordinator of the Biomedical Engineering curriculum. In 2004 he started to work for one day a week at the University of Twente as professor in the Design of BioMedical Products.
Since 2011 he is Technical Scientific director of the Center of Research Excellence SPRINT, focusing on restoring or increasing the mobility of elderly.
From 2007-2011 he was President of the European Society of Engineering and Medicine (ESEM). Since 2015 he is president of the new ESEM (Educating Students in Engineering and Medicine).
He has published over 170 scientific articles. His H-index is 22. He owns 12 patents and supervised 25 PhD-students. He has realised about € 17 million of funding.
Fields of interest
Design of mechanical implants in general and spinal implants particularly.
Restoring mobility of older citizens by designing sensor systems that monitor physical, cognitive, stress, nutritional condition and intervention systems that improve their condition.
Onderzoek en onderwijs
- Biomechanical engineering, the technical university of Delft
- Bob Peterka from the Oregon Science Health Institute
- Jules de Wald from the rehabilitation institute of chicago
- Mark Carpenter from.the University of British Columbia
- Roessingh Research and Development
- Thomas Mergner from the Neurozentrum in Freiburg
- Verkerke GJ: Tracheostoma valve; Patent nr. NL9102095, 16-07-1993
- Verkerke GJ, Rakhorst G: Tracheostoma valve and tissue connector and housing for use as a part thereof; Patent nr. US5765560, 16-06-1998
- De Vries MP, Van der Plaats A, Schutte HK, Verkerke GJ: Voice-producing prosthesis; Patent nr. WO9953868, 28-10-1999
- Rakhorst G, Verkerke GJ, Brinckmann G: Method and a system for manufacturing a catheter and a catheter manufactured by that method. Patent nr. US6280788, 28-08-2001
- Verkerke GJ, Van der Plaats A, Rakhorst G: Catheter pump, catheter and method for supporting organ perfusion. Patent nr. US2002123661, 05-09-2002
- Verkerke GJ, Van der Plaats A, Rakhorst G: Cardiac assist catheter pump and catheter and fitting for use therein; Patent nr. US6398714, 04-06-2002
- Huyghe JM; Donkelaar CC; Wijlaars MW; Verkerke GJ; Eijkelkamp MF; Veldhuizen AG: Posthesis made of a fibre-reinforced hydrogel, method of manufacturing and use thereof. Patent nr. NL1023926C, 18 January 2005
- Van der Plaats A, Verkerke GJ, Rakhorst G, Ploeg RJ, ‘T Hart NA, Leuvenink HGD: Portable preservation apparatus for a donor organ. Patent nr. WO2005009125, 3 February 2005
- Van der Houwen EB, Verkerke GJ, Van der Laan BFAM: Tracheostoma valve. Patent nr. WO2010 114372 A2, 7 October 2010.
- Verkerke GJ, Kuijer R, Werf MW van der, Langius RW, Hekman EEG, Rietman JS, Bulstra SK: Orthosis for human leg. Patent nr.WO2010/140887 A1, 9 December 2010
- Tomaszewski PK, Verkerke GJ, Verdonschot NJJ, Bulstra SK: Osseointegration system for a long bone. Patent nr. WO 2011/037458 A1, 31 March 2011
- Wessels, M, Hekman EEG, Verkerke GJ: Implantation system for treatment of a defective curvature of the spinal column. Patent nr WO2013172700, 21 November 2013