After obtaining a Master degree in Electrical Engineering, I obtained a PhD degree at the University of Twente, on Modelling and control of laser surface treatment, in 1999. Ever since, my scientific interests are on the fundamental physical phenomena occurring during laser‐material inter-action, in order to optimize laser‐material processing for laser‐based manufacturing. Main processes are material processing using ultra short pulsed laser sources for micro‐ and nano‐machining, and laser cladding and additive manufacturing (3D printing) using high power laser sources. As well as, the development of models, as well as sensors and real‐time control algorithms for laser‐material processes (to ensure reliable processing results).
From 2008 to 2017, I was an associate professor at the chair of Applied Laser Technology at the University of Twente. From 2017 I was an associate professor, and since 2020 I am full professor of the research chair Laser Processing.
Besides chair holder of the research chair, I am Research Coordinator of the department of Mechanics of Solids, Surfaces & Systems (MS3).
Laser Applicatie Centrum (LAC)
Member of the board of the Laser Applicatie Centrum (LAC)
My main research interests include:
- fundamental physical phenomena occurring during laser-material interaction
- optimizing laser-material processing for laser-based manufacturing
- material processing using ultra short pulsed laser sources, in the fs and ps regime, for micro- and nano-machining
- high power laser surface treatment
- high power laser-based Directed Energy Deposition, an Additive Manufacturing technique
- means and methods for monitoring/sensing and control of laser-material processing systems
- applications of innovative laser-based manufacturing