Rick Hogeboom is Executive Director at the Water Footprint Network (WFN), an international non-profit partner and donor organization based in the Netherlands. With WFN, he uses the water footprint concept to promote the transition toward sustainable, fair and efficient use of the world’s fresh water. He is also Assistant Professor at the University of Twente, The Netherlands, where he developed a special interest in and expertise on matters of global water consumption in relation to scarcity, and potential response options for actors involved, including consumers, businesses, NGOs, governments and investors. Finally, Rick is a Program Manager at the Wetskills Foundation, where he leads and organizes international networking and learning events for students and young professionals in the water sector, to find solutions for pressing water issues. Young and energetic, Rick aims to foster and facilitate science-based, practical and inclusive water stewardship.
UT Research Information System
Lecturing University of Twente
- Water Footprint Assessment, CEM Master course (2016 – date)
- Futures: Complex Problem Solving, Bachelor Honours course (2020 - date)
- International Study Tour, Master program Civil Engineering (2016)
- Civil Engineering Abroad, Master program Civil Engineering (2016)
- Water Footprint Assessment online e-learning course (2016-2019)
- Tutoring/Mentorate, Bachelor program Civil Engineering (2014-2016)
- Water, Bachelor program Civil Engineering (2009-2011)
- Soil Mechanics, Bachelor program Civil Engineering (2009)
Industrial Ecology - System Earth, Leiden University / TU Delft (2017)
B.Sc. thesis supervision
- 2020, Ype Willemsen "Managed Aquifer Recharge to mitigate water scarcity"
- 2017, Dyan Voetdijk “Rioolmodelleringsstudie Lokeren”
- 2016, Kai Hermann “Groundwater model of Dhaka”
- 2015, Sam de Roover “Modelling the Jakarta groundwater system: A Sensitivity Analysis”
- 2015, Max Veerkamp “Modellering rioolstelsel zuiveringsgebied Rillaar”
M.Sc. thesis supervision
- 2021, Foekje van Schoot "Irrigation water requirements during low flows in the Rhine"
- 2021, Bart Treurniet "Non-sustainable groundwater footprints of global crop production"
- 2020, Dyan Voetdijk "Blue water footprint caps for the Orange River basin"
- 2018, Ruben Herrebrugh “The blue and grey water footprint of industry and domestic water supply”
- 2018, Davey de Bruin “Developing water caps for the world’s river basins”
- 2017, Kees van Ginkel “Urban water security dashboard: characterizing and ranking cities”
- 2017, Ilja Kamphuis “Water sustainability of Dutch investors”2016, Luuk Knook “The water footprint related to reservoir operation on a global scale”
- 2016, Jessica de Koning “Defining and distinguishing water footprint benchmarks in crop production”
- 2015, Vok Keijsper “Freshwater sustainability criteria in ecolabels: the creation of a freshwater sustainability ecolabel and analysis of the ecolabels in the Netherlands”
Affiliated Study Programmes
Courses Academic Year 2022/2023
Courses Academic Year 2021/2022
In the press
- 2018, Sep 24 - Interview in KJZZ radioshow "Intel promises to restore 100 percent of its global water use - what does it mean?", listen to the show here.
- 2018, Sep 11 - Interview 1Twente radioshow on Studium Generale lecture I gave that day.
- 2018, Sep 8 - Article in Environmental Finance "Water sustainability is investor 'blind spot', study suggests", find it here.
- 2018, Sep 7 - Interview PensioenPro "Grootste pensioenfondsen lopen achter met esg-beleid over watergebruik", find it here.
- 2018, Sep 4 - Interview H20 "Nederlandse investeerders hebben weinig oog voor waterduurzaamheid", find it here.
- 2018, Aug 26 - Editorial in Water & Sanitation Campaign magazine MediaPlanet "Investors today can avert water crises of tomorrow", find it here.
- 2018, May 2 - TED-talk at TEDxTwenteU "Your Water Footprint Revealed", watch the talk here.
- 2018, Mar 3 - Article in Science Trends "Thirsty Reservoirs - The Water Footprint of Hydroelectric Dam Construction", find it here.
- 2018, Feb 5 - Interview in radioshow the Scholar’s Circle “Water rights, scarcity and water use in perspective”, listen to the show here.
- 2017, Oct 25 - Interview in World Finance “The threat of water scarcity looms large”, find it here.
- 2017, Sep 12 - Interview in Pulse Microsoft Cloud “Zonder de Microsoft Cloud was ons onderzoek niet gelukt”, find it here.
News on utwente.nl
- 2018, Sep 12 - Interview UToday "Reep chocolade: 17.000 liter water", find it here.
- 2018, Sep 3 - Press release UTwente.nl "Weinig aandacht voor waterduurzaamheid Nederlandse investeerders", find it here. Overgenomen door DuurzaamBeleggen.nl, find it here. In English, find it here.
- 2018, Aug 28 - Article in UToday "Als het aan mij ligt gaan we door met InspireU", find it here.
- 2018, Jul 1 - Interview in Promovabel UT Magazine "Promotieonderzoek naar relatie waterschaarste en consumptie", find it here.
- 2018, May 1 - Interview in UToday "TEDxTwenteU: Your Water Footprint Revealed", find it here.
University of Twente
Faculty of Engineering Technology
Horst Complex (building no. 20), room W204
De Horst 2
University of Twente
Faculty of Engineering Technology
Horst Complex W204
P.O. Box 217
7500 AE Enschede
Additional Contact Information
Program Manager @ Wetskills Foundation
Visit my LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/hjhogeboom/