I am a curiosity-driven experimental physicist with a multidisciplinary background in (active)soft condensed matter, materials science, biophysics, chemical engineering, and microfluidics. Our Active Soft Matter lab is part of the Soft Matter Cluster at the University of Twente.
We are interested in addressing fundamental questions in the dynamic self-organization of living matter, bio-membrane mechanics, and active particle transport in complex fluids from a soft matter perspective. Our group research expertise lies at the interface between the physicochemical manipulation (e.g., interaction potential, shape, and chemistry) of soft matter systems (e.g., lipid membranes, active vesicles, artificial microswimmers or self-propelled particles, colloids, nanoparticles, and emulsions) and the fabrication of bio-inspired functional materials.
1. H. R. Vutukuri, M. Hoore, C. Abaurrea-Velasco, A. Dutto, T. Auth, D. A. Fedosov, G. Gompper,J. Vermant, Active particles induce large shape deformations in giant lipid vesicles, Nature, 586, 52-56 (2020). https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2730-x
2. H. R. Vutukuri, M. Licski, E. Lauga, J. Vermant, Light-switchable propulsion of active particles with reversible interactions, Nature Communi. 11, 2628(2020).
3. H. R. Vutukuri, B. Bram, M. Dijkstra, and W. T. S. Huck, Rational design and dynamics of self-propelled colloidal bead chains: from rotators to flagella, Scientific Reports, 7, 16758 (2017). https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-16731-5
4. A. F. Demirörs, P. Beltramo, H. R. Vutukuri; Colloidal Switches by Electric and Magnetic Fields, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 9, 17238 (2017). https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsami.7b02619
5. H. R. Vutukuri, Z. Peseleir, M. Dijkstra and W. T. S. Huck, Dynamic self-organization of side-propelling colloidal rods: experiments and simulations, Soft Matter, 12, 9657(2016).
6. H. R. Vutukuri, S. Badiare, D. Winter, A. Imhof, and A. van Blaaderen, Directed self-assembly of micron-sized gold nanoplatelets into oriented flexible stacks with tunable interpolate distance, Nano Letters, 15, 5617 (2015). https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b02384
7. H. R. Vutukuri, A. Imhof, and A. van Blaaderen, Fabrication of polyhedral particles from spherical particles and their self-assembly into rotator phases, Angewandte Chemie Int. Ed. 13830(2014). (Won the competition and selected as the cover page of the SoftmatterWorld calendar 2015). https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/anie.201409594
8. H. R. Vutukuri, F. Smallenburg, A. Imhof, A. van Blaaderen, and M. Dijkstra; An experimental and simulation study on the self-assembly of colloidal cubes in external electric fields, Soft Matter. 10, 9110 (2014).
9. S. Mellouli, B. Monterroso, H. R. Vutukuri, E. Brinke, V. Chokkalingam, W. T. S. Huck; Self-organization of the bacterial cell-division protein FtsZ in confined environments, Soft Matter, 9, 10943(2013). https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2013/sm/c3sm51163d
10. H. R. Vutukuri, A. F. Demirörs, B. Peng, P. D. J. van Oostrum, A. Imhof, and A. van Blaaderen; Colloidal analogues of charged and uncharged polymer chains with tunable stiffness, Angewandte Chemie Int. Ed. 51, 11249 (2012). (Featured on the cover page of the November 2012 issue of the journal).
11. H. R. Vutukuri, J. Stiefelhagen, T. Vissers, A. Imhof, and A. van Blaaderen; Bonding assembled colloids without loss of colloidal stability, Advanced Materials 24, 412 (2012). https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/adma.201104010