Dr.-Ing. Kuan-Hsun Chen is a tenured assistant professor at the Chair of Computer Architecture and Embedded Systems (CAES) for the University of Twente in the Netherlands.
From Aug. 2019 to Aug. 2021, he was a Postdoc at Design and Automation for Embedded Systems group, TU Dortmund University in Germany. He earned his Ph.D. degree (05.2019) in Computer Science (Dr.-Ing.) also from TU Dortmund University with the highest distinction (summa cum laude). He earned his master’s degree in Computer Science (2013) and his bachelor's degree in the Interdisciplinary Program of Humanities and Social Sciences (2011) at National Tsing Hua University in Taiwan.
He currently serves as Associate Editor for the AIMS Applied Computing and Intelligence and Guest Editor for the Transactions of Cyber-Physical Systems and the Journal of Signal Processing Systems. He has published 60+ scientific works in top peer-reviewed journals (e.g., TC and TECS) and international conferences (e.g., EMSOFT, RTSS, RTAS, DAC, ECML, PKDD, LCTES). He is also a Technical Program Committee (TPC) member for many international conferences and a reviewer for many peer-reviewed journals and conferences in computer science.
He is one founder of the Dutch Real-Time System Community, funded by the community fund from 4TU.NIRICT. He also holds one best student paper award at RTCSA’18, and one dissertation award at TU Dortmund University (2019), and one best paper nomination at DATE’21. Moreover, he was granted by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) one exchange project and by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) a postdoctoral fellowship in 2021. He has been a volunteer mentor in ESA Summer of Code in Space (2017) and Google Summer of Code since 2016 for open-source development on a popular real-time operating system, RTEMS.
- Real-Time Timing Analysis, Scheduling, and System Software
- Dependable Computing and Fault-Tolerant Software Design
- Cyber-Physical-Systems and Resource Management
- Architecture-Aware Software Automation
I have also served on several technical program committees (TPC):
- IEEE Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS) - TPC (2023)
- International Conference on Real-Time and Network Systems (RTNS) - Web Chair (2023)
- Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASP-DAC) - TPC (2022)
- IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium (RTSS) - AE Committee (2022, 2021), Multimedia Chair (2021), Session Chair (2021), TPC (2021)
- Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems (ECRTS) - Session Chair (2022)
- Workshop on Machine Learning for CAD - TPC (2022, 2020)
- IEEE International Conference on Embedded and Real-Time Computing Systems and Applications (RTCSA) - TPC for Real-Time Systems Track (2022, 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing, Data, & Analytics (HiPC) - TPC (2022)
- IEEE Real-Time Technology and Applications Symposium Brief-Presentation - TPC (2020)
- Junior Researcher Workshop on Real-Time Computing - TPC (2020)
transactions and journals:
- ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems - Guest Editor (to-be-presented)
- ACM Transactions on Cyber-Physical Systems - Guest Editor for "Fault Resilient CPS"
- Applied Computing and Intelligence - Associate Editor
- Journal of Signal Processing Systems - Guest Editor for Special Issue
and in the following venues as a reviewer or a sub-reviewer, including but not limited to:
- Springer Journal of Time-Critical Computing Systems (TIME)
- ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems (TECS)
- ACM Transactions on Design Automation of Electronic Systems (TODAES)
- ACM Transactions on Cyber-Physical Systems (TCPS)
- IEEE Transaction on Computers (TC)
- IEEE Transaction on Dependable and Secure Computing (TDSC)
- IEEE Embedded Systems Letters (ESL)
- IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing (Thematic Section)
- IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control (TAC)
- IEEE Transactions on Reliability (TR)
- IEEE Real-Time Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS)
- IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS)
- International Conference on Real-Time and Network Systems (RTNS)
- European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (ECML PKDD)
Since 2016 I am also a mentor in Google Summer of Code for RTEMS. In case you are interested in the development of open-source RTOS, feel free to contact me.
UT Research Information System
Google Scholar Link
Affiliated Study Programmes
Courses Academic Year 2022/2023
Courses Academic Year 2021/2022
- Dutch Real-Time Systems Community (funded by 4TU.NIRICT) in 2022
- Promotion by ACM Special Interest Group on Design Automation (SIGDA) on "Who's who" on May 1st, 2022.
- Invited Lecture at Conference "Taiwan Elite in DACH-region on Advanced Engineering and Biomedical Technologies" in 2021
- Invited Talk at Workshop "Diskussionskreis Fehlertoleranz" in 2019