My research and therapeutic work focuses on diagnoses and treatment of chronic pain and chronic fatigue. I am especially interested in the working of Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT). Pain control is not effective in chronic pain. But a vital life with chronic pain is possible when patients shift their efforts from pain towards living a valuable life. ACT is a cognitive behavior therapy which offers a useful base for this shift in perspective and fits well in a positieve psychology approach.
Chronic pain and fatigue occur more often than other chronic disorders like cancer, heart diseases or diabetes. Therefore we create online treatments in order to reach as much patients as possible in an early stage. The use of persuasive technology helps to enhance adherence
Besides my work at the University of Twente, I work as a therapist in a rehabilitation centre. This combination of science and practice is seen in my teaching. It is important for students to get educated as a scientist-practitioner.
- Senior Health Psychologist Roessingh Rehabilitation Centre
- Supervisor Dutch Association of behavioural and Cognitive Therapy
KMG Schreurs CGT training & supervisie
geven van ACT trainingen
- Fledderus, Martine, Schreurs, K.M.G., Bohlmeijer, E.T. & Vollenbroek-Hutten, M.M.R. (2015). Development and Pilot Evaluation of an Online Relapse-Prevention. JMIR HUMAN FACTORS, 2(1), 1. 10.2196/humanfactors.3302
- Reneman, Michiel F., Kleen, Marco, Trompetter, Hester R., Schiphorst-Preuper, Henrica R., Koke, Albere, Baalen, Bianca van & Schreurs, Karlein M.G. (2014). Measuring avoidance of pain: validation of the Acceptance and Action Questionnaire II-pain version. International journal of rehabilitation research, 37(2), 125-129. 10.1097/MRR.0000000000000044
- Trompetter, H.R., Bohlmeijer, E.T., Veehof, M.M. & Schreurs, K.M.G. (2014). Internet-based guided self-help intervention for chronic pain based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of behavioral medicine, 38, 66-80. 10.1007/s10865-014-9579-0
- Trompetter, H.R., Klooster, P.M. ten, Schreurs, K.M.G., Fledderus, M., Westerhof, G.J. & Bohlmeijer, E.T. (2013). Measuring values and committed action with the Engaged Living Scale (ELS): Psychometric evaluation in a nonclinical sample and a chronic pain sample. Psychological assessment, 25(4), 1235-1246. 10.1037/a0033813
- Trompetter, Hester R., Bohlmeijer, Ernst T., Baalen, Bianca van, Kleen, Marco, Köke, Albere, Reneman, Michiel & Schreurs, Karlein M.G. (2014). The Psychological Inflexibility in Pain Scale (PIPS): Exploration of psychometric properties in a heterogeneous chronic pain sample. European journal of psychological assessment, 30(4), 289-295. 10.1027/1015-5759/a000191
- Trompetter, Hester R., Schreurs, Karlein M.G., Heuts, Peter H.T.G. & Vollenbroek-Hutten, Miriam M. (2014). The systematic implementation of Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT) in Dutch multidisciplinary chronic pain rehabilitation. Patient education and counseling, 96(2), 249-255. 10.1016/j.pec.2014.05.019
- Fledderus, M., Bohlmeijer, E.T., Fox, Jean-Paul, Schreurs, K.M.G. & Spinhoven, Philip (2013). The role of psychological flexibility in a self-help acceptance and commitment therapy intervention for psychological distress in a randomized controlled trial. Behaviour research and therapy, 51(3), 142-151.
- Fledderus, M., Bohlmeijer, E.T., Pieterse, M.E., Schreurs, K.M.G. (2012). Acceptance and commitment therapy as guided self-help for psychological distress and positive mental health: a randomized controlled trial. Psychological Medicine, 42(3), 485-495.
- Schreurs K.M.G., Veehof M.M., Passade L., Vollenbroek-Hutten M.M.R. (2011) Predictors of outcome in an inpatient rehabilitation programme with cognitive behavioural therapy and graded exercise therapy in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 49(12), 908-913.
- Veehof, M.M., Oskam, M.J., Schreurs, K.M.G., Bohlmeijer, E.T. (2011). Acceptance-Based Interventions for the Treatment of Chronic Pain. A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Pain, 152, 533-542.
- Veehof, M., Schreurs, K., Hulsbergen, M., Bohlmeijer, E. (2010). Leven met pijn. De kunst van het aanvaarden. Amsterdam: Boom.
- Schreurs, K., Hulsbergen, M. (2011). Leven met pijn. Praktijk E-boek voor behandelaars. Amsterdam: Boom.
UT Research Information System
- Cognitive and behavioural therapy
- Living technology in de zorg(samen met prof. dr. E.T. Bohlmeijer, dr. H.R. Trompetter, drs. A, van der Horst, dr. H. de Vocht, Saxion Hogeschool; dr. R. Huis in ’t Veld, OCON, Hengelo; MST, Enschede)
Development and evaluation of an online self-help program guided by nurses to improve recovery from a heart or back operation.
- Early treatment of chronic pain(in cooperation with prof. dr. E.T. Bohlmeijer, dr. H.R. Trompetter, prof. dr. M. Vollenbroek-Hutten; Roessingh Research & Development, Universiteit Twente; general practitioners and physiotherapists in the region of Twente)
Together with general practitioners and physiotherapists, we seek to support chronic pain patients in coping with their complaints in an early phase with the aim of restricting interference of pain with their daily life. We use a combination of online interventions and apps.
- Development of blended-care in Roessingh Rehabilitation Center(in cooperation with dr. H.R. Trompetter, prof. dr. M. Vollenbroek-Hutten; Roessingh Research & Development, Universiteit Twente; health professionals if the pain department of Roessingh Rehabilitation Center).
This project studies the implementation of e-health Nagegaan wordt op welke wijze e-health components in the treatment programs and its (cost)-effectiveness.
- Maintaining behavior change(In cooperation with prof.dr.E.T. Bohlmeijer; prof.dr. M. Vollenbroek-Hutten; prof.dr. H. Hermens Roessingh Research & Development, University of Twente; prof.dr. E.T. Bohlmeijer, University of Twente)
Development and evaluation of a website and app aimed at relapse prevention after treatment. Patients develop their own relapse prevention program during the treatment.
FINISHED PROJECTS (SELECTION 2009-2014)
- Get more out of your life with pain(In cooperation with H.R. Trompetter MSc, prof.dr. E.T. Bohlmeijer, dr. M. Veehof, dr. S.M. Kelders, University of Twente. Subsidie Innovatiefonds Zorgverzekeraars)
An online treatment with ACT or emotional writing is compared to a waiting list condition in RCT. Besides (cost) effectiveness of the ACT intervention, the study investigated mediators and moderators of the treatment effect and the use of the website.
- Engaged living scale(In cooperation with H.R. Trompetter MSc., prof. dr. E.T. Bohlmeijer, dr. M. Fledderus, Dr. G. J. Westerhof, University of Twente)
Development and validation of a questionnaire aimed at the measurement of values and values based actions.
- Measurement of acceptance of chronic pain(In cooperation with H.R. Trompetter MSc, University of Twente; dr. B. Baalen, dr. S. Remerie, Rijndam Revalidatiecentre; prof. Dr. M. Reneman, University of Groningen; Dr. A. Köke, University of Maastricht)
The psychometric quality is researched of questionnaires connected with the acceptance of chronic pain was investigated in different studies.