Karst Geurs is appointed Full Professor of Transport Planning at the Centre for Transport Studies. His research focuses on interactions between land use and transport, accessibility modelling and evaluation and the dynamics in travel behaviour. From 2009-2013 he was Associated Professor at the CTS. He worked at the National Institute for Public Health and Environment from 1997 and moved to the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency in 2005. In 2006 he received his PhD at the Faculty of Geosciences, Utrecht University, the Netherlands, on accessibility appraisal of land-use and transport policy strategies. He teaches master courses on Transport Policy and Planning, Land Use and Transport Interactions and Sustainable Transport within the Master Track Transport Engineering and Management.
He is chair of the Network on European Communications and Transport Activities Research (NECTAR), Editor-in-Chief of the European Transport Research Review (ETRR) and member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the Journal of Transport and Land Use (JTLU).
- 2013 Full Professor of Transport Planning, Centre for Transport Studies, University of Twente.
- 2009 Associate Professor, Centre for Transport Studies, University of Twente.
- 2007 Programme Manager Transport, Netherlands Environmental
Assessment Agency, Bilthoven, the Netherlands.
Researcher land use, transport and environment, Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, Bilthoven, the Netherlands.
- 1997 Researcher land use, transport and environment, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, the Netherlands.
- 2006 PhD, Faculty of Geosciences, Utrecht University, the Netherlands. Thesis title: Accessibility, land use and transport. Accessibility evaluation of land-use and transport developments and policy strategies. Awarded Cum Laude.
- 1995 Master of Science Environmental Science, Environmental Policy Evaluation, Utrecht University, Utrecht, Netherlands
- 1993 Bachelor of Science Transport Engineering and Planning, Breda University of Professional Education, the Netherlands
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the Journal of Transport and Land Use (JTLU) (www.jtlu.org).
- Chair of the Netwerk on European Communications and Transport Activities Research (NECTAR) - http://www.nectar-eu.eu/
- Editor-in-Chief of the European Transport Research Review (ETRR) http://www.springer.com/engineering/civil+engineering/journal/12544
- TRAIL research fellow.
- Member of ‘Programmaraad CROW/KpVV Ruimte en Mobiliteit’.
- 18-08-2017 | Deborah Vitoriano Araujo Neves: Rail vulnerability: impacts of winter related railway disruptions on network performance. Supervisor: Geurs, La Paix, Puello, Lindhout (extern), Zanen (extern). Company: Arcadis
- 18-08-2017 | Md Saidul Azam Chowdhury: Intrapersonal variation in destination choice. Supervisor: Geurs, La Paix, Puello. Company: CTS.
- 09-06-2017 | Wietse te Morsche: The potential of alternative transport service types. An exploration of the potential and the factors influencing the potential of alternative transport services in the province of Overijssel. Supervisor: Geurs, La Paix, Puello, Berloth (extern). Company: Provincie Overijssel.
- 21-04-2017 | Enzo Bronzwaer: Impact of comfort enhancement measures on traveller satisfaction and ridership. Supervisor: Geurs, La Paix, Puello, Brok (extern). Company: Provincie Noord-Braband, Ruimte en Mobiliteit.
- 30-01-2017 | Bruno Guasti Motta: A bike ability index for Curitiba (Brazil). Supervisor: Geurs, Pritchard, Gedde (extern). Company: CTS.
- 29-08-2016 | Stef ter Braake: Passenger numbers during and after works on the tram network of The Hague. Confidential report. Supervisor: Geurs, Thomas, v. Leeuwen (extern). Company: HTM.
- 13-05-2016 | Tsjibbe Hartholt: Rail demand estimation in the Netherlands. Supervisor: Geurs, La Paix, Puello, Brands. Company: Goudappel.
For more theses see this website.
UT Research Information System
- 2013-2017 Mobility Panel for the Netherlands (MPN)
- 2014-2018 The local and regional dimensions in Indonesia’s social and economic development
- 2015-2018 ASTRID - Accessibility, Social justice and TRansport emission Impacts of transit-oriented Development
- 2012-2015 Mobile Mobility Panel
- 2016-2018 Mobility innovations in Twente
- 2014-2017 Dynamics in Mode Choice Behaviour
- 2016-2017 Solar Bike