Karst Geurs is appointed Full Professor of Transport Planning at Department of Civil Engineering. His research focuses on interactions between land use and transport, accessibility modelling and evaluation and the dynamics in travel behaviour. From 2009-2013 he was Associated Professor at the Department of CE. He worked at the National Institute for Public Health and Environment from 1997 and moved to the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency in 2005. In 2006 he received his PhD at the Faculty of Geosciences, Utrecht University, the Netherlands, on accessibility appraisal of land-use and transport policy strategies. He teaches master courses on Transport Policy and Planning, Land Use and Transport Interactions and Sustainable Transport within the Master Track Transport Engineering and Management.
He is chair of the Network on European Communications and Transport Activities Research (NECTAR), Editor-in-Chief of the European Transport Research Review (ETRR) and member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the Journal of Transport and Land Use (JTLU).
- 2013 Full Professor of Transport Planning, Dep. CE, University of Twente.
- 2009 Associate Professor, Centre for Transport Studies, University of Twente.
- 2007 Programme Manager Transport, Netherlands Environmental
Assessment Agency, Bilthoven, the Netherlands.
Researcher land use, transport and environment, Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, Bilthoven, the Netherlands.
- 1997 Researcher land use, transport and environment, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, the Netherlands.
- 2006 PhD, Faculty of Geosciences, Utrecht University, the Netherlands. Thesis title: Accessibility, land use and transport. Accessibility evaluation of land-use and transport developments and policy strategies. Awarded Cum Laude.
- 1995 Master of Science Environmental Science, Environmental Policy Evaluation, Utrecht University, Utrecht, Netherlands
- 1993 Bachelor of Science Transport Engineering and Planning, Breda University of Professional Education, the Netherlands
- Chair of the Netwerk on European Communications and Transport Activities Research (NECTAR) - http://www.nectar-eu.eu/
- Editor-in-Chief of the European Transport Research Review (ETRR) etrr.springeropen.com
- TRAIL research fellow.
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the Journal of Transport and Land Use (JTLU) (www.jtlu.org).
editor Journal of Transport Geography
- 19-02-2021 | Rutger Meester : Evalutation of trip characteristics and accessibility in car-free development: A case study in the Merwedekanaalzone in Utrecht. | Mott MacDonald
- 22-04-2020 | Ruben Akse: Urban Transport Policy Paradigms: A Philosophical and Engineering Analysis | CROW
- 26-09-2019 | Dieuwert Blomjous: Explanation of household car ownership with proximity to train stations Supervisors: Geurs, Thomas, v. Essen, vd Reijt (extern). Company: Goudappel Coffeng
- 30-08-2019 | Simone ten Have: Is ultrafast charging the future for EV in the Netherlands? A discrete choice experiment on user preferences for slow, fast and ultra fast charging. Supervisors: Geurs, Gkiotsalitis, Idema (extern). Company: APPM Rotterdam
- 08-03-2019 | Jan Engels: Forecasting spatio temporal variations in OD-pairs. A case study from Sao Paulo. Supervisors: Geurs, Gkiotsalitis, Gianotti (external). Company: Provincie Escola Politecnica da Universidade de Sao Paulo
- 06-03-2019 | Martijn de Gruijter: Mobility as a service in the Paleiskwartier: explanatory factors for the intention to use and a process evaluation. Supervisors: Geurs, Fioreze. Company: Provincie N-Brabant
For more theses see this website