Since April 2019 I work as a postdoctoral researcher on the topic of urban green infrastructure and how it increases resilience against natural hazards at the Construction Management and Engineering (CME) department. Until April 2021 I also worked at the Water Engineering and Management (WEM) department. I am currently examining how we can quantify the effects of green infrastructure on the overall goal of sustainable water and energy resource management.
I am genderqueer/nonbinary (they/them).
Before joining the University of Twente
- I was a postdoctoral researcher at the National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Tsukuba, Japan. I analyzed the efficiency of the micro-grid using renewable energy situated at the WPI-MANA/NanoGREEN building.
- I worked as a research specialist at the International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM), Tsukuba, Japan. I evaluated and developed improvements for existing global disaster risk indicator databases that can quantify the impacts of disaster risk, including the UNISDR Sendai Framework.
- My PhD research at ICHARM focused on vulnerable people in flood evacuation policies. I developed a method to quantify the number of potentially vulnerable people, and compared the measures in Japan, the USA, and the Netherlands on national and local level.
- Before my PhD, I worked as junior researcher at the Radboud University, Nijmegen, Netherlands. As a part of the internationally funded Freude am Fluss project, I compared the effects on the water level of different floodplain management strategies between France and the Netherlands.
- I worked as a data analyst for Rosen Europe (Oldenzaal, Netherlands) to determine the location of pipelines with Rosen GIS-software. I have further environmental consultancy experience in the Netherlands through Royal Haskoning DHV, Ecoselect, and MH Poly, being detached to Rijkswaterstaat, a province, a municipality, and a water board, by working as law enforcer, permit granter, and junior soil advisor.
- 2011/2014 PhD Disaster Management, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, Tokyo, Japan. Thesis: Vulnerable People and Flood Risk Management Policies.
- 2004/2006 Master of Environmental Sciences, Radboud University Nijmegen, Netherlands.
- 2001/2004 Bachelor of Science, University College, Utrecht, Netherlands.
Areas of expertise
- Sustainable development and environmental management
- Green infrastructure and climate change mitigation & adaptation
- Disaster risk reduction and vulnerable populations
(*rated by Web of Science)
International peer reviewed journal articles
- Ahsan MN, Khatun A, Islam Md S, Vink K, Ohara M, Fakhruddin BSHM (2020) Preferences for improved early warning services among coastal communities at risk in cyclone prone south-west region of Bangladesh. Progress in Disaster Science. 10.1016/j.pdisas.2020.100065
- *Vink K, Ankyu E, Kikuchi (2020) Long-Term Forecasting Potential of Photo-Voltaic Electricity Generation and Demand Using R. Appl. Sci. 2020, 10, 4462. 10.3390/app10134462
- Vink K (2020) Sustainable life cycle design aspects: how aware are material scientists?, SN Appl. Sci., 2, Article number: 1364, 10.1007/s42452-020-3151-z
- *Vink K, Ankyu E, Koyama M (2019) Multiyear microgrid data from a research building in Tsukuba, Japan. Scientific Data. https://doi.org/10.1038/sdata.2019.20
- *Vink K, Ahsan M N (2018) The Benefits of Cyclones: A Pragmatic Valuation Approach. Ecological Indicators, 95(1), 260-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2018.07.035
- Vink K, Ahsan M N, Sawano H, Ohara M (2017) Global Water-Related Risk Indicators: Meta-Analysis of Indicator Requirements. Journal of Disaster Research, 12 (2), 355-367. https://doi.org/10.20965/jdr.2017.p0355
- Ahsan M N, Takeuchi K, Vink K, Ohara M (2016) A systematic review of the factors affecting the cyclone evacuation decision process in Bangladesh. Journal of Disaster Research, 11 (4), 742-753. https://doi.org/10.20965/jdr.2016.p0742
- *Ahsan M N, Takeuchi K, Vink K, Warner J (2015) Factors affecting the evacuation decisions of coastal households during Cyclone Aila in Bangladesh. Environmental Hazards, 15 (1), 16-42. https://doi.org/10.1080/17477891.2015.1114912
- *Lee S, Vink K (2015) Assessing the vulnerability of different age groups regarding flood fatalities: Case Study in the Philippines. Water Policy, 17 (6), 1045-1061. https://doi.org/10.2166/wp.2015.089
- Vink K, Takeuchi K, Kibler K M (2014) A quantitative estimate of vulnerable populations and evaluation of flood evacuation policy, Journal of Disaster Research, 9 (5), 887-900. https://doi.org/10.20965/jdr.2014.p0887
- *Vink K (2014) Transboundary Water Law and Vulnerable People – Legal Interpretations of the ‘Equitable and Reasonable Use’ Principle. Water International, 39 (5), 743-754. https://doi.org/10.1080/02508060.2014.951827
- *Vink K, Takeuchi K (2013) International comparison of measures taken for vulnerable people in disaster risk management laws. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 4, 63–70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2013.02.002
Book chapters and theses
- *Ahsan M N, Vink K, Takeuchi K (2017) Chapter 9: Livelihood-strategies and resource-dependency nexus in the Sundarbans. In: Participatory Mangrove Management in a Changing Climate: Perspectives from the Asia-Pacific, Editors R. DasGupta, R. Shaw. Springer, Japan. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-4-431-56481-2_9
- Vink K (2014) PhD Thesis: Vulnerable People and Flood Risk Management Policies. National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, Tokyo, Japan. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.1.1860.7122
- Vink K (2006) Functions in River Systems. Department of Environmental Science. Reports Environmental Science nr. 288. Radboud University, Nijmegen, Netherlands.
- Vink K (2006) Origin of the Sun. Where do the Japanese and the Japanese language come from? Honors Review (Dutch).
- Vink K (2006) The Role of Nitrate, Sulphate and Oxygen in Peat Decomposition (Dutch). Department of Aquatic Ecology and Environmental Biology. Report nr. 45. Radboud University, Nijmegen, Netherlands.
Peer reviewed conference proceedings
- Vink K, Ankyu E, Elborg M, Koyama M (2019) Performance and cost analysis of building scale micro-grid operation. Energy Procedia, 156, 425-429. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2018.11.095
- Vink K, Ahsan M N, Sawano H (2016) The Benefits of Cyclones as Ecosystem Services, The 7th International Conference on Water Resources and Environment Research (ICWRER2016), Kyoto TERRSA, Kyoto, Japan, June 5-9, 2016.
- Vink K, Takeuchi K (2013) Quantifying the effectiveness of measures taken for vulnerable people in local Disaster Risk Management (DRM), The 6th APHW Conference (APHW2013), Korea University, Seoul, South Korea, 19-21 August 2013.