After my graduation in Health Sciences in Maastricht (masters degree in Health Promotion), I did my PhD research at the University of Twente. This research involved the design, testing, and implementation of a brief smoking cessation intervention (‘MIS’) by general practitioners. Currently, this intervention has reached full institutionalization in Dutch primary care.
Following my PhD research I stepped out of the academic world and worked for several years at a consultancy firm (HHM) and the National Institute of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (NIGZ). In 2002 I returned to the University of Twente as assistant professor, first at the department of Marketing communication & Consumer Psychology, and from 2005 at the department of Psychology, Health & Technology. Currently, I am appointed as associate professor in Health Psychology.
- Addiction treatment & prevention (smoking cessation, alcohol abuse prevention, gaming addiction)
- Design and Implementation of health promoting interventions in public health
- Healing environments in health care settings
- Implicit processes in health behavior
- From intermediate outcomes to physical endpoints of behavioral change: modeling cognitive parameters for cost-effectiveness analyses in health promotion. ZonMw: start 2010. PhD: R. Prenger.
- A randomised controlled trial with 2-year follow-up in COPD patients comparing a smoking reduction program with a placebo self-help intervention, on reduction followed by sustained cessation (REDUQ trial). Astma Fonds: start april 2009. PhD: P. Hagens
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of an intensive SmokeStopTherapy in an outpatient clinic setting for patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease. Astma Fonds: completed in 2006. PhD: L. Christenhusz
Determinants of addictive behaviors
- My research in this topic focuses on social-cognitive and implicit determinants of alcohol abuse and other addictive (and compulsive) behaviors (xtc, cannabis, gambling, gaming), especially within adolescents and young adults.
Relevant grants on this topic include:
- Happy Fris: Draagvlak voor alcoholbeleid onder Twentse ouders en hun kinderen. Gemeente Enschede; completed 2010.
- Gezonde Slagkracht: de rol van jongerenwerkers in het detecteren en doorverwijzen van jongeren met problematisch middelengebruik. ZonMW; completed 2013.
- Understanding problematic game behavior: Prevalence and the role of social cognitive determinants. Institute Behavioral Research; completed 2012. PhD: M.C. Haagsma.
- Healing environments: reducing anxiety and pain in patients undergoing CT surgery. ERASMUS; start jan 2011.
- Designing healing environments: the effects of physical environmental stimuli in healthcare settings on the health and well-being of patients. College Bouw Ziekenhuis Voorzieningen; completed 2008. PhD: K. Dijkstra.
Mental Health in Low SES populations
- Improving mental health by enhancing resilience and flourishing. Trimbos Institute; start 2012. PhD: M. Schotanus-Dijkstra.
UT Research Information System
- Implicit Cognitions and Health Behavior (B2 Psychology)
- Public Health Psychology (Msc Health Psychology)
- Entertainment-Education (Msc Health Psychology)
- Health Communication (B2 Health Sciences)
- Bachelor and Master Thesis supervision