I started working on interface engineering for oxide electronics already during both my MSc and PhD at the University of Twente (Netherlands) with a stay at Stanford University (USA). During my postdoc at the University of California, Berkeley (USA), my research was broadened into the field of multiferroic applications to study the magnetic and electronic interactions at various oxide interfaces. In 2009 I started my research group at the University of Twente as a Tenure Track Assistant Professor. At the same time I became program director of the strategic research orientation ‘Nanomaterials for Energy’ within the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology to exploit and expand the present expertise in the field of nano-related energy research. In these roles I have been successful in obtaining financial support (e.g. MESA+ grant of 1000 k€, EU FP7 projects of 694 k€ and national personal VENI grant of 250 k€ (top 10% of peers)) on thermoelectrics, photovoltaics and artificial photosynthesis, in which high-quality oxide interfaces were crucial. In 2013 I became a Tenure Track Associate Professor and I shifted the focus of my research group towards solid-state batteries, for which I was awarded a prestigious national personal VIDI grant of 800 k€ (top 10% of peers). Since 2016 I have a permanent position with ius promovendi with a young and enthusiastic research team. Recently, I have been appointed as Guest Scientist within the IEK-1 Electrochemical Storage Department of Forschungszentrum Jülich (Germany).
2016 – present Associate Professor (with ius promovendi) Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Twente, Netherlands.
2018 – present Guest Scientist IEK-1 Electrochemical Storage Department, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany.
2013 – 2016 Associate Professor, Tenure Track Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Twente, Netherlands.
2009 – 2014 Program director of the strategic research orientation ‘Nanomaterials for Energy’, MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology, University of Twente, Netherlands.
2009 – 2013 Assistant Professor, Tenure Track Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Twente, Netherlands.
2008 – 2009 Postdoctoral researcher, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Twente, Netherlands.
2006 – 2008 Postdoctoral researcher, Physics & Materials Science departments, University of California, Berkeley, USA.
2000 Sep-Dec Student Internship, Applied Physics department, Stanford University, USA.
Nanomaterials for Energy Conversion and Storage
The research is focused on the study of novel nanostructured thin films with special structural and advanced functional properties at the incorporated interfaces. The aim is to develop new materials towards improved energy applications, such as solid-state batteries and thermoelectric energy generators. This research is part of the “Storage and Conversion of Renewable Energy” application area of the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology, which goal it is to exploit and expand the present expertise in the field of nano-related energy research through multidisciplinary collaboration between various research groups.
I have co-authored 83 publications in peer-reviewed, international journals of which 58 articles without my PhD promotors. The articles have been published in high-impact leading journals with impact factors ranging up to 39.7. The articles have received more than 4264 citations (excl. self-citations, 12-2-2018, WOS Thomson Reuters). Currently, my h-index is 31 and I am PI, or co-PI, of all my research projects.
Complex Oxides Useful for Thermoelectric Energy Conversion
A. Majumdar, R. Ramesh, Ch. Yu, M.L. Scullin, M. Huijben
Pub. No.: WO/2008/109564
International Application No.: PCT/US2008/055720
International Filing Date: 03.03.2008
Publication Date: 12.09.2008
Info at Patentscope®
UT Research Information System
Google Scholar Link
Affiliated Study Programmes
- MilieuMagazine, april 2016, “Stroom uit je lichaam?”
- Financieel Dagblad, feb. 2015, “Mijn broer weet het beter.”
- Kijk magazine, feb. 2014, “Power in the people.”
- MESA+ Magazine, 2013, “Nano-oplossing voor Mega-probleem.”
- RTL Z 'Toekomstmakers' , thema ‘Energie uit nanotechnologie’ (November 2015).
In the press
News on utwente.nl
- Nanotechnologists at UT make orientation of magnetism adjustable in new materials (March 7th, 2016)
- Universitipi: Podium voor wetenschap tijdens festival Manana Manana (August 28th, 2015)
- Volle bak in de Universitent op de Zwarte Cross (July 27th, 2015)
- UT zet Zwarte Cross traditie voort (July 10th, 2015)
- Researchers improve conductivity of ceramic materials (June 1st, 2015)
- Nog meer wetenschappelijk spektakel op Zwarte Cross (July 17th, 2014)
- Three VIDI grants for MESA-researchers (May 20th, 2014)
- Thermoelectric materials can be much more efficient (March 19th, 2014)
- Wetenschap volop aanwezig op Hotspot festival (November 28th, 2013)
- Excellente onderzoeksgroep ontvangt FOM-subsidie (November 26th, 2013)
- Nanotechnologists find a way of reducing defects in materials (June 26th, 2013)
- Magnetism in thin insulating films at room temperature (October 15th, 2012)
- Colleges Universiteit Twente op de Zwarte Cross (July 23rd, 2012)
- Officiële aftrap van het Green Energy Initiative ‘groot succes’ (June 28th, 2012)
- College volgen op de Zwarte Cross (June 14th, 2012)
- Onmogelijke stroomgeleiding opgehelderd (May 14th, 2010)