I am a full professor of Cyber Security and Business Continuity at the University of Twente. I started my career at the Research and Documentation Centre (WODC) of the Ministry of Justice in 1981. I worked as a Senior Researcher at the Netherlands Institute for the Study of Criminality and Law Enforcement (NSCR – in Leiden) (1992-2000) and as an Associate professor at the Department Developmental Psychology - Utrecht University (2002-2008). I am a member of the Scientific Advisory Council (WAR) of the Dutch Defense Academy. I founded the Crime Science journal together with Pieter Hartel and was an associate-editor for 6 years (https://crimesciencejournal.springeropen.com/).
Recent research projects:
- Slachtofferschap van Cybercrime (Victims of cybercrime; pilotstudy), € 40.000. Together with Prof. dr ir T. de Vries, Prof. dr ir B.P. Veldkamp (University of Twente). From Stichting Achmea Slachtoffer en Samenleving (SASS).
- SEcurity RequIrements for seriOUS apps - (SERIOUS)
Funded by: NWO
Duration: January 2015 until January 2019
With Prof.Dr. P.H. Hartel (Pieter)
- TREsPASS: Technology-supported Risk Estimation by Predictive Assessment of Socio-technical Security. EU-Large-scale integrating project,
Consortium, principal investigator: prof Hartel.
- Modus operandi: the influence of modern media (ICT, mobile phones) on ‘traditional crime’ (Invloed van de moderne media (ICT, mobiele telefoons) op de 'traditionele' misdrijven). With Prof.Dr. P.H. Hartel (Pieter)
Education / Teaching
1. Master Risico Management, Mastertrack Risico & Veiligheid in ICT & Cybercrime
2. Cyber-crime Science in the Security 3TU master of Information Security.
UT Research Information System
Google Scholar Link
I wrote a blog on victims of crime on the SpringerOpen and BMC:
Please let me know your reaction.