- 2006: Certificate of Basic Teaching Competences (29/6/2006; now BKO, formerly known as DUIT)
- 2004: Ph.D. degree at University of Twente. See research below
- 1999: M.Sc. Applied Mathematics, University of Twente, cum laude including practical training at ABB Research Center (Baden, Switzerland) and M.Sc. project on variational modelling of river cross-sections.
Employment (for content see research projects)
- 2017-present: Associate professor2010-2017: Assistant professor
- 2006-2010: Assistant professor on personal STW-VENI grant
- 2004-2006: Postdoc in Prof. Hulscher’s VICI project
- 2000-2004: PhD candidate at University of Twente
- 1999-2000: Visiting researcher at University of Genova (on NUFFIC Talentenbeurs)
- Roos, P.C., Seabed Pattern Dynamics and Offshore Sand Extraction, Ph.D. thesis, University of Twente, The Netherlands, ISBN 90-365-2067-3, 2004. [to receive a hardcopy, please send me an email]
Supervision of Ph.D. students
- Koen Reef (UT, daily supervision). In progress. Starting date: January 2017.
- Zhou Jieqiong (Zhejiang University, China, co-supervision during visit at UT). 9/2016-9/2017.
- Johan Damveld (UT, daily supervision). In progress. Starting date: November 2015.
- Geert Campmans (UT, daily supervision). In progress. Starting date: March 2014.
- Wenlong Chen (UT, daily supervision). Dissertation: “Idealised modelling of storm surges in large-scale coastal basin” (defense: 15-12-2015).
- Mohit Kumar (TU Delft, co-supervision). In progress. Starting date: September 2011.
- Dr ir L.L. Dorst (UT, daily supervision). Dissertation: “Estimating sea floor dynamics in the Southern North Sea to improve bathymetric survey planning” (defense: 4-9-2009).
- Dr ir F.M. Sterlini (UT, co-supervision). Dissertation: “Modelling sand wave variation” (defense: 12-6-2009).
- Dr ir H.H. van der Veen (UT, co-supervision). Dissertation: “Natural and human induced seabed evolution” (defense: 21-2-2008).
- Invited speaker at NCK-theme day on Wadden Sea on the sediment balance of the Wadden Sea, Leiden, 10 October 2014
- Invited speaker at EGU2013, session OS2.1 (Ocean Sciences), Vienna, 8 April 2013
- 1st prize for the best presentation at NCK days 2010 (see Roos & Schuttelaars 2010).
- Organizer of workshop on impact of mega-scale sand extraction on the North Sea (27 April 2010)
- Member of NCG-KNAW Netherlands Geodetic Committee, subcommittee ‘Marine Geodesy’ (since November 2009)
- Participation in Building with Nature, project HK2.1 “Ecodynamic design of a dredging area”, on the ecological landscaping of sand extraction sites (2008-2010).
- Jury member best PhD paper Twente Water Week (Twente Water Centre): 2014, 2015, 2016.
- Reviewer for the following scientific journals: Reviews of Geophysics, Geophysical Research Letters, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Journal of Geophysical Research, Continental Shelf Research, Ocean Dynamics, Journal of Applied Mathematics, Coastal Engineering, Journal of Sedimentary Research, Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, Environmental Modelling and Software, Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, Ocean Science Discussions, Marine Geology.
UT Research Information System
- Winner Central Educational Award University of Twente 2017
- 4x Teacher of the year Civil Engineering & Management: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017
- 9 Nominations for Teacher of the Year Civil Engineering & Management: 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017
Teaching in Bachelor Civil Engineering
Course Fluid Mechanics I in Module 2; 2015-date
- Oral lectures
- Course evaluation*: N/A (no grades available)
Project in Module 2: “Reservoir in Blue Nile”; 2013-2015
- Set-up and teaching of the project, in collaboration with ir J.G. de Kiewit, PDEng
- Course evaluations*: 7.2 (2014/15), 7.5 (2013/14)
Tutor in Module 3; 2013-2016
Teaching of Master Courses Civil Engineering & Management
Mathematical Physics of Water Systems (course code: 19540090): 2005-date
- Set-up of the course: writing syllabus, designing lectures and exercises
- Co-ordination, oral lectures, examination and grading
- Course evaluations*: 8.9 (2016/17), 8.8, 8.4, 8.6, 8.2, 8.3, 8.6, 8.4, 8.2, 8.6, 8.6, 8.4 (2005/06)
Marine Dynamics (course code: 195400800): 2003-date
- Teaching first part of the course (on tides, currents and large-scale morphology)
- Co-ordination (2003/04-2007/08), oral lectures, examination and grading
- Course evaluations*: 8.1 (2016/17), 8.0, 8.0, 7.4, 6.5, 6.3, 7.9, 7.9, 8.0, 7.9, 8.0, 7.7 (2005/06)
Marine Systems (course code: 195400240): 2004, 2011**
- Co-ordination, oral lectures, excursion, examination and grading
- Tutoring assignments
*These are the grades from the students’ evaluations (on a scale of 1-10)
**In 2011, I supervised the self-study version of this course in the fourth quartile.
Supervision of 45 MSc projects:
- 2002: Henriët v.d. Veen
- 2004: Rik Wemmenhove
- 2005: Tessa Hoffman, Willem Ottevanger (Math.)
- 2006: Irene Wientjes
- 2007: Mark van de Zande (Mech.),
- 2008: Bregt Huizinga
- 2009: Olav van Duin, Wiebe de Boer
- 2010: Stephan Janssen, Jorick Velema
- 2011: Albert op de Hoek (Mech.), Jaap Nienhuis, Wing Yan Man
- 2012: Timon Klok, Joost Noordermeer, Koen Berends
- 2013: Niels-Jasper van den Berg, Siemen Dasselaar (Mech.),
- 2014: Ferdinand van den Brink, John Damen, Sander Käo (SET),
- 2015: Jurgen Klein, Britt de Groen, Rinse Wilmink, Johan Damveld, Leonie Straatsma, Michiel Pezij, Mattias Pecher (Mech.)
- 2016: Benno Fakkert, Aart Kooiman (Mech.), Filippos Kalofotias, Annet Both, Sven Overbeek, Frank Upmeijer, Koen Reef, Daniël ter Haar (Mech.), Niels Leijtens (Mech.), Thomas van Veelen, Diede Nijmeijer (Math.)
- 2017: Ellis Schrijen, Chris Pitzalis
- Ongoing: Tessa Andringa, Marc Warmerdam, Jules Hazeleger, Rick van Dongen
Supervision of 22 BSc projects (* means second supervisor):
- WEM Internships Roelant van Dam (2005), Sophie Buyck, Maurits Kruijt, Mats Vosse (2006)
- 2009: Jasper Middelkamp
- 2010: Thomas Schonk*
- 2011: Peter Melis*, Serve Hermens*
- 2012: Yoeri Dijkstra, Stefan de Vries, John Damen, Thomas Leeuw*
- 2013: Cynthia Wertwijn, Sander de Waard, Twan Rovers*, Robert-Jan Lub*
- 2014: Ruud Boom, Robin Kuipers*
- 2015: Martijn Krol, Rik Posthumus, Martijn Scheltes*
- 2016: Jan Engels*, Mark Westerhuis*, Anne Hofman
- 2017: Esmee Koopman*, Dieuwert Blomjous
- C2-score on TCP English Language Class Assessment (6/3/2014)
- Teacher panel member of ConcepT Symposium: 2015, 2016, 2017.
- Guest lecturer at NCK summer school 2011 (20 June-1 July 2011, Texel, Netherlands)
- Chairman of Education Committee Civil Engineering (OLC-CiT, 2009-Sept. 2013), staff member (Sept. 2013-now)
- Supervisor of group research project at international summer school in Motril (Spain, 2007).
- Guest lecturer at M.Sc.-course on biogeomorphology (TU Delft, 2006 and 2007)
- Supervisor of group research project at NCK-summer school in Texel (Netherlands, 2005)
- Guest lecture on large-scale offshore seabed morphology at Tutorial Course during international ECUA’2004 conference on underwater acoustics (Delft, The Netherlands)
Affiliated Study Programmes
- 2017-present: joint supervision of Ph.D. student Reinaldo Bart (Univ. Curacao) with Dr.ir. Rob Hagmeijer (in progress)
- 2017-present: supervision of Ph.D. student Koen Reef on WADSnext! project (in progress)
- 2015-present: supervision of Ph.D. student Johan Damveld on NWO/ALW SANDBOX project (in progress)
- 2014-present: project leader of STW project SMARTSEA (TKI Maritime call) and daily supervision of Ph.D. student Geert Campmans (in progress).
- 2011-present: Co-supervision of Ph.D. student Mohit Kumar (TUD, in progress)
- 2011-2015: SEACOS project in CSC Talent Training. Daily supervision of Ph.D. student Wenlong Chen
- 2006-2010: STW-VENI project on “Transient Dynamics in the Morphology of Coastal Seas”.
- 2004-2006: Post doc in VICI project Prof. Dr. S.J.M.H. Hulscher. Further activities: contact person of EUMARSAND on behalf of University of Twente, collaboration with Christophe Brière, daily supervision of L.L. Dorst’s Ph.D project.
- 2000-2004: Ph.D. project on the morphodynamics of large-scale offshore sand extraction, in relation to rhythmic seabed patterns such as tidal sandbanks. Promotors: Prof. Dr Suzanne Hulscher, and Prof. Dr Ir Huib de Vriend. Research partly took place within the EU-project HUMOR (HUman interaction with large-scale MORphological evolution), contract number EVK3-CT-2000-00037, started in 2001.
- 1999-2000: one year stay at University of Genova, Italy, EU-funded within ‘Talentenprogramma’ of the Nuffic. Research on the modelling of three-dimensional sand ripple patterns, supervised by Prof. Paolo Blondeaux (see publication: Roos & Blondeaux, 2001).