- 2006: Certificate of Basic Teaching Competences (29/6/2006; now BKO, formerly known as DUIT)
- 2004: Ph.D. degree at University of Twente. See research below
- 1999: M.Sc. Applied Mathematics, University of Twente, cum laude including practical training at ABB Research Center (Baden, Switzerland) and M.Sc. project on variational modelling of river cross-sections.
- 2022-present: UT Teaching & Learning Fellow (0.2 fte, theme 'digitalisation')
- 2017-present: Associate professor
- 2018-2022: Location director of UT/VU BSc-programme Mechanical Engineering
- 2010-2017: Assistant professor
- 2006-2010: Assistant professor on personal STW-VENI grant
- 2004-2006: Postdoc in Prof. Hulscher’s VICI project
- 2000-2004: PhD candidate at University of Twente
- 1999-2000: Visiting researcher at University of Genova (on NUFFIC Talentenbeurs)
Earth & Environmental Sciences
# Bottom Friction # Dune # Modeling # Morphodynamics # Sand Extraction # Sand Wave # Sandbank # Tidal Modeling
van der Sande, W. M. , Roos, P. C., Gerkema, T. , & Hulscher, S. J. M. H. (2023). Shorter estuarine dunes and upstream migration due to intratidal variations in stratification. Estuarine, coastal and shelf science, 281, . https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2023.108216
Roos, P. C., & De Swart, H. E. (2022). Tides in Coastal Seas. Influence of Topography and Bottom Friction. In H. Schuttelaars, A. Heemink, & E. Deleersnijder (Eds.), The mathematics of marine modelling (Vol. 9, pp. 73-102). (Mathematics of Planet Earth; Vol. 9). Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-09559-7_4
van der Meijden, R. , Damveld, J. , Roos, P. C. , van der Werf, J. J., & Ecclestone, D. (2022). Shifting Sands: Developing new measurement methodologies in GIS to analyse the spatial variability of tidal sand wave migration on the Netherlands Continental Shelf.. 86-86. Poster session presented at NCK Days 2022, Enschede, Netherlands.
van der Sande, W. M. , Roos, P. C., Gerkema, T. , & Hulscher, S. J. M. H. (2022). The influence of periodic stratification on estuarine sand dunes. In M. Ortega-Sánchez (Ed.), Proceedings 39th IAHR World Congress, 19-24 June 2022, Granada, Spain IAHR. https://cmswebonline.com/iahr2022/epro/pdf/06-02-012-1104.pdf
van Veelen, T. J. , Roos, P. C. , & Hulscher, S. J. M. H. (2022). Sediment scarcity: modelling the morphodynamics of sandbanks when sand is limited. In M. Ortega-Sánchez (Ed.), Proceedings 39th IAHR World Congress, 19-24 June 2022, Granada, Spain IAHR. https://cmswebonline.com/iahr2022/epro/pdf/07-01-024-1417.pdf
van der Sande, W. M. , Roos, P. C., Gerkema, T. , & Hulscher, S. J. M. H. (2022). The effect of SIPS on estuarine sand dunes: a stability approach. 71-71. Abstract from NCK Days 2022, Enschede, Netherlands.
- Roos, P.C., Seabed Pattern Dynamics and Offshore Sand Extraction, Ph.D. thesis, University of Twente, The Netherlands, ISBN 90-365-2067-3, 2004. [to receive a hardcopy, please send me an email]
Supervision of Ph.D. students
- Laura Portos Amill (UT, promotor). In progress. Starting date: September 2022.
- Wessel van der Sande (UT, promotor). In progress. Starting date: April 2019
- Mariana Pardal (Rio de Janeiro State University, Brazil, co-supervision during visit at UT). 1/2019-6/2019.
- Koen Reef (UT, co-promotor). Dissertation: "Exploratory modelling of barrier coast dynamics" (defense: 3-3-2022)
- Zhou Jieqiong (Zhejiang University, China, co-supervision during visit at UT). 9/2016-9/2017.
- Johan Damveld (UT, co-promotor). Dissertation: "The feedbacks among tidal sand waves, benthic organisms and sediment sorting processes"(defense: 30-10-2020)
- Geert Campmans (UT, co-promotor). Dissertation: "Modeling storm effects on tidal sand waves" (defense: 31-08-2018).
- Wenlong Chen (UT, co-promotor). Dissertation: “Idealised modelling of storm surges in large-scale coastal basin” (defense: 15-12-2015).
- Mohit Kumar (TU Delft, co-promotor). Dissertation: "Three-dimensional model for estuarine turbidity maxima in tidally dominated estuaries. An idealized modelling approach" (defense: 30-11-2018)
- Dr ir L.L. Dorst (UT, co-promotor). Dissertation: “Estimating sea floor dynamics in the Southern North Sea to improve bathymetric survey planning” (defense: 4-9-2009).
- Dr ir F.M. Sterlini (UT, co-supervision). Dissertation: “Modelling sand wave variation” (defense: 12-6-2009).
- Dr ir H.H. van der Veen (UT, co-supervision). Dissertation: “Natural and human induced seabed evolution” (defense: 21-2-2008).
- External committee member in Phd Defence of: R.L. Brouwer (TU Delft, 30-9-2013), Bing Yuan (Utrecht University, 13-7-2017), Rajapaksha Mudiyanselage Janaka Bamanuwala (UT, 16-4-2020), Roeland C. van de Vijsel (RUG, 19-3-2021)
- External examiner for Van Long Huynh (University of Nottingham, 4-12-2018), Gaetano Porcile (Universitá di Genova, 2019), Thomas Boelens (UGent, 4 June 2020)
- Advisor for Rijkswaterstaat’s research agenda on sandy coast/shoreface (17-2-2022, 24-11-2022)
- Co-organizer of NCK Days 2021, held online 25-26 March 2021 by NIOZ and University of Twente
- Organizer of NCK-theme day on Offshore Activities and Seabed Evolution (OASE), organized by Universiteit Twente (Roos & Borsje), Utrecht, 6 November 2018
- Invited speaker at NCK theme day on Wadden Sea, Leeuwarden, 17 May 2019
- Keynote speaker at MARID VI, 1-3 April, 2019
- Invited speaker at NCK-theme day on Wadden Sea on the sediment balance of the Wadden Sea, Leiden, 10 October 2014
- Keynote speaker at EGU2013, session OS2.1 (Ocean Sciences), Vienna, 8 April 2013
- 1st prize for the best presentation at NCK days 2010 (see Roos & Schuttelaars 2010).
- Organizer of workshop on impact of mega-scale sand extraction on the North Sea (27 April 2010)
- Member of NCG-KNAW Netherlands Geodetic Committee, subcommittee ‘Marine Geodesy’ (since November 2009)
- Participation in Building with Nature, project HK2.1 “Ecodynamic design of a dredging area”, on the ecological landscaping of sand extraction sites (2008-2010).
- Jury member best PhD paper Twente Water Week (Twente Water Centre): 2014, 2015, 2016.
- Reviewer for the following scientific journals: Nature Geosciences, Reviews of Geophysics, Geophysical Research Letters, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Journal of Geophysical Research, Continental Shelf Research, Ocean Dynamics, Journal of Applied Mathematics, Coastal Engineering, Journal of Sedimentary Research, Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, Environmental Modelling and Software, Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, Ocean Science Discussions, Marine Geology, Ocean Modelling, Frontiers in Marine Science, Earth Surface Processes & Landforms.
UT Research Information System
- Winner Central Educational Award University of Twente 2017
- 4x Teacher of the year Civil Engineering (& Management): 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017
- 11x Nominations for Teacher of the Year Civil Engineering & Management: 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2020, 2022
- Course Fluid Mechanics 1 in Module 2; 2015-date
- Project in Module 2: “Reservoir in Blue Nile”; 2013-2015
- Tutor in Module 3; 2013-2016
- Mathematical Physics of Water Systems (course code: 19540090): 2005-date
- Marine Dynamics (course code: 195400800): 2003-2017
- Marine Systems (course code: 195400240): 2004, 2011
- Supervision of MSc projects, BSc projects
- C2-score on TCP English Language Class Assessment (6/3/2014)
- Guest speaker at Universiteit van Nederland (2019): “Waarom spelen sommige wiskundigen graag in de zandbank?”
- Teacher panel member of ConcepT Symposium: 2015, 2016, 2017.
- Guest lecturer at summer schools: NCK Texel (2011. 2019), Utrecht Tides (2018), ENSY Granada (2019)
- Chairman of Education Committee Civil Engineering (OLC-CiT, 2009-Sept. 2013), staff member (Sept. 2013-March 2018)
- Supervisor of group research project at international summer school in Motril (Spain, 2007).
- Guest lecturer at M.Sc.-course on biogeomorphology (TU Delft, 2006 and 2007)
- Supervisor of group research project at NCK-summer school in Texel (Netherlands, 2005)
- Guest lecture on large-scale offshore seabed morphology at Tutorial Course during international ECUA’2004 conference on underwater acoustics (Delft, The Netherlands)
Affiliated Study Programmes
Courses Academic Year 2022/2023
Courses in the current academic year are added at the moment they are finalised in the Osiris system. Therefore it is possible that the list is not yet complete for the whole academic year.
Courses Academic Year 2021/2022
- 2022-present: supervision of Ph.D. student Laura Portos-Amill (in progress)
- 2019-present: supervision of Ph.D. student Wessel van der Sande (in progress)
- 2017-2022: supervision of Ph.D. student Koen Reef on WADSnext! project
- 2015-2020: supervision of Ph.D. student Johan Damveld on NWO/ALW SANDBOX project
- 2014-2020: project leader of STW project SMARTSEA (TKI Maritime call) and daily supervision of Ph.D. student Geert Campmans.
- 2011-2018: Co-supervision of Ph.D. student Mohit Kumar (TUD)
- 2011-2015: SEACOS project in CSC Talent Training. Daily supervision of Ph.D. student Wenlong Chen
- 2011-2015: SEACOS project in CSC Talent Training. Daily supervision of Ph.D. student Wenlong Chen
- 2006-2010: STW-VENI project on “Transient Dynamics in the Morphology of Coastal Seas”.
- 2004-2006: Post doc in VICI project Prof. Dr. S.J.M.H. Hulscher. Further activities: contact person of EUMARSAND on behalf of University of Twente, collaboration with Christophe Brière, daily supervision of L.L. Dorst’s Ph.D project.
- 2000-2004: Ph.D. project on the morphodynamics of large-scale offshore sand extraction, in relation to rhythmic seabed patterns such as tidal sandbanks. Promotors: Prof. Dr Suzanne Hulscher, and Prof. Dr Ir Huib de Vriend. Research partly took place within the EU-project HUMOR (HUman interaction with large-scale MORphological evolution), contract number EVK3-CT-2000-00037, started in 2001.
- 1999-2000: one year stay at University of Genova, Italy, EU-funded within ‘Talentenprogramma’ of the Nuffic. Research on the modelling of three-dimensional sand ripple patterns, supervised by Prof. Paolo Blondeaux (see publication: Roos & Blondeaux, 2001).