I am especially interested in exploring and supporting the interplay between curriculum development and teacher professional development. This includes the supportive role of technology in curriculum and teacher development, as well as particular attention for these issues in the fields of science education, citizenship development, and early childhood literacy. I am also committed to exploring how educational research can serve the development of scientific understanding while also developing solutions to real problems in educational practice. Since educational design research lends itself to these dual aims, I work on developing and explicating ways to conduct design research. Much of my work has been carried out in collaboration with organizations in developing countries, but I also enjoy research and consultancy in the Netherlands, the USA and Europe.
For current engagements, announcements and comprehensive listings of scientific work, please visit http://www.EducationalDesignResearch.org.
McKenney, S. & Reeves, T. (2018, in press). Conducting Educational Design Research, 2nd Ed. London: Routledge.
McKenney, S. & Reeves, T. (2012). Conducting Educational Design Research. London: Routledge.
Van den Akker, J., Gravemeijer, K., McKenney, S. & Nieveen, N. (2006). Educational design research. London: Routledge.
Könings, K. & McKenney, S. (Eds.) (2017). Participatory design of (built) learning environments. Special issue: European Journal of Education.
Kopcha, T. J., Schmidt, M. & McKenney, S. (Eds.) (2015). Educational Design Research. Special issue: Australasian Journal of Educational Technology.
Kali, Y., McKenney, S. & Sagy, O. (Eds.) (2015). Special issue. Teachers as Designers of Technology-Enhanced Learning. Instructional Science.
Voogt, J., McKenney, S., Fisser, P. & van Braak, J. (Eds.) (2012). Special Issue on Research-Practice Interactions in Education. Pedagogische Studiën, 89(6).
UT Research Information System
Google Scholar Link
- Sociology, pedagogy and andragogy
- Technology for educational design: Complex systems
- Educational design methodology
- Design studio
- Introduction to the science of education and technology
- Computer supported curriculum development
- Models and strategies of curriculum development
- Design methods
- Curriculum, teacher and school development
- Design in educational settings
- Introduction to educational design research
Inter-university doctoral program (ICO)
- Educational design research
- Designing curriculum resources for impact
- Supervisor of Dutch and international bachelor, master and doctoral students specializing in curriculum development, teacher development and technology use in the curriculum.
- Guidance counselor to freshmen in the bachelor Educational Science and Technology program